Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2012 2500 starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 05:46 PM
Cajun1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 2500 starting issue

Hi, I have a 2012 Ram 2500 Diesel. The problem I am having is, it won't start sometimes. What happens is, when I turn the key to the on position, the wait to start light should appear in the middle window at the bottom of the gauge. Instead it shows the low fuel light(gaspump) then service 4 wheel drive light. I forget what shows in the left window. Normally the ETC light shows here. Also under normal conditions, I am able to hear something energizing under the hood. This doesn't happen when the wrong lights show up first. Now if I turn the key to Acc then back on, 9 times out of 10 it will go to through the correct functions. I went to local dealer and they had me replace the Anti-Lock Break Module. This didn't work. When I went to bring it back, I used my wife's key. It didn't have the issue. So the dealer reprogramed the keys and the truck. This worked for awhile, now it is doing it again. I am tired of throwing money to the dealer. I don't think they now what is going on. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:03 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

it is a no crank condition or crank but won't start?
did the dealer find any powertrain codes? if yes, list them.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:47 PM
Cajun1

Originally Posted by primem
it is a no crank condition or crank but won't start?
did the dealer find any powertrain codes? if yes, list them.
Hey Pimem, It does crank but will not start. The code that will eventually pop is for the Anti-Lock Module. That is why the dealer replaced the Module. I have unplugged the Module and the truck still started. Of course codes popped like crazy, but it still started. I have an idea of what it may be, but I don't want to poison any ones mind with my idea. And at this point it is only an idea. It is a very annoying problem.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:48 PM
Cajun1

I was hoping someone out there had this issue and knew of the fix or source of issue.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:02 PM
Cajun1
Default Noticed this

I noticed this is happening when the wrong sequence occurs. I can shift the truck out of park without stepping on the break pedal. When the correct sequence occurs. I cannot shift without stepping on break. Now this is when the key is in on position only . Not started!

Quick Reply: 2012 2500 starting issue