Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

PREDATOR Programmer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 08:09 PM
MikeDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PREDATOR Programmer?

I’m sure this discussion has been beat to death but anyone tried the ‘Stage 2 PREDATOR”? What did you think of it? My 2003 Cummins 4X4 has good power for towing but more is always good! Don’t want to ‘F’ up the engine and these folks say their programmer doesn’t.

Thanks,

Old 12-19-2005, 10:56 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PREDATOR Programmer?

any time you increase power output over stock you run the chance of 'F'ing something up.

I havent heard much about the predator programmer. however, if you looking for good power check out TST, Quadzilla power, or Van-Aaken. the Quad box is the only one that will increase rail pressure but it will not go to high.

most downloaders build their power by increaseing fuel rail pressure, this is a cheap way of getting power, but is also the worst way since the CP3 is subject to alot of wear and tear. realy the best way to make massive power on these HPCR engines is by adjusting the timeing and duration of the injectors. increase the timeing by about 2 degrees and hold the injectors ope just a hair longer and your looking at 140 extra HP and 200tq

Old 12-20-2005, 03:34 PM
forester

OK, I'm listening,,,HOW??

Old 12-20-2005, 07:04 PM
bigmike
Professional

the VanAaken Smartbox does what Drew is talking about and does not alter the rail pressure. it alters the pulse width - in other words it adjusts the timing and duration of the injectors.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:16 PM
MikeDodge

Thanks Drew,

I found a Quadzilla Adjustable Xzillaraider Module 03-04 Dodge 5.9L Cummins for $404.10 with free shipping (30-60-100 HP gain) Are gauges a must for this unit? Haven't looked at the other two yet but from what you've said they are safer and I'm sure they cost more... Sorry if I'm being **** here but am looking at the total cost benifet.

Thanks for your time!

ORIGINAL: Drew

any time you increase power output over stock you run the chance of 'F'ing something up.

I havent heard much about the predator programmer. however, if you looking for good power check out TST, Quadzilla power, or Van-Aaken. the Quad box is the only one that will increase rail pressure but it will not go to high.

most downloaders build their power by increaseing fuel rail pressure, this is a cheap way of getting power, but is also the worst way since the CP3 is subject to alot of wear and tear. realy the best way to make massive power on these HPCR engines is by adjusting the timeing and duration of the injectors. increase the timeing by about 2 degrees and hold the injectors ope just a hair longer and your looking at 140 extra HP and 200tq

Old 12-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any time you throw a box onto your truck, boost and EGT gages are a must at a minimum. a tranny temp gage would also be a good thing to have.

some boxes do come with their own monitoring software and will not allow the boost pressure or EGT's to climb past a set point of your chooseing.

I have a Westach dual boost/egt gage on my A pillar useing a SRT10 pillar handle. it is a VERY clean and easy install, check out my gallery for a pic of it in action.

the TST is probably the most expensive of all the units, however it gives you 10 different HP settings and 10 torque settings. stock most people cannot get past 3/3 without EGT's getting dangerous or boost pressures climbing to the point of blowing the turbo. but what is nice about the TST is it is upgradeable in that you can add aftermarket turbo's, injecotrs, tranny, or go for a twins setup and be able to use all 10 settings. the TST is capable of insane power, and it doesnt increase rail pressure.

the units that I recomend and would only use are those that either do not increase rail pressure or only increase it slightly on the high settings. increaseing the rail pressure too much is a death kiss for the CP3.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:28 PM
MikeDodge

After some soul searching I’ve decided to just get a 70hp programmer. Anything with more power I’d probably kick it to full tilt, up hill, pulling my trailer, just because the power is their!

Now I just need to find a programmer and gauges for towing… Looked at the picture of the gauge you run, nice but I like the digital look.

Thanks again, off to ebay ;-) Hey, I already bought Christmas gifts for everyone in my family, now it’s my turn

Mike

Quick Reply: PREDATOR Programmer?