Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

ENGINE SHUT DOWN

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 11:50 AM
JOEY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ENGINE SHUT DOWN

GOOD QUESTION WITHOUT THE EXACT INFO IN FRONT OF ME---ON THE 3RD GEN CUMMINGS 5.9 WHAT SHUTS DOWN THE ENGINE WHEN YOU TURN THE KEY OFF??

Old 12-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Batphreak
Veteran
Default RE: ENGINE SHUT DOWN

Fuel shut-off is the only way to shut down any diesel.

Old 12-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the injectors are electricaly fired, when you cut power they no longer open up.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:31 PM
JOEY

SO UNLIKE THE OLDER MODELS THAT WERE NOT EFI--THERE IS NO ELECTRICAL FUEL CUT OFF ---ITS DONE BY KILLING THE INJECTOR PULSE--CORRECT?? I DONT HAVE A MAINT.MANUAL AND WAS WONDERING EXACTLY WHAT TYPE OF DIRECT OR INDIRECT CIRCUIT IS USED TO KILL THE PULSE AS A FRIEND IS HAVING A PROBLEM THAT I BELIEVE IS CAUSED BY THIS CIRCUIT

Old 12-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Drew
Professional

with the VP44 pump there was a fuel shutoff valve that diverted the fuel away from the injectors, killing the engine, the P7100 worked in the way way, but was more electronic in its workings

the CP3 of the 3rd gens just stops the pulsing of the injectors effectivly doing the same thing. it is computer controlled, when you kill the engine the computer stops feeding pulses to the injectors.

exactly what kind of problem are you haveing??? that might tell me more of whats going on

Old 12-20-2005, 10:21 AM
JOEY

DREW,THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY--HIS 3RD GEN WILL RUN FINE THEN JUST SHUT DOWN--HE HAD IT TO THE DEALER WHERE THEY MONITORED FUEL PRESSURE ECT AND SCANED FOR FAULT CODES ECT--AND IT DID FAIL WHILE AT THE DEALER MULTIPLE TIMES--BUT THE DEALER GAVE UP AND GAVE HIM THE TRUCK BACK--DODGE TECH. SUPPORT IS AS GOOD AS THE INFO THE DEALER PROVIDES THEM THATS WHERE THE MAIN PROBLEM LIES-P.S WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS 9.25 PINION SEAL LEAK THAT WAS POSTED?WAS IT THE AMERICAN AXLE CORP UNITS USED ON THE 2004S ? AND WHAT ABOUT DEFECTIVE WEATHER SEALS CHAFFING OFF ON THE FRONT OF BOTH DOOR FRAMES ON THE 3RD GENS--MY DEALER SAID THEY NEVER SAW IT BEFORE---BUT EVERY ONE I HAVE CHECKED HAS THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM

Old 12-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Drew
Professional

here is a link to ALL the TSB's that have come out from 1987 to amazingly enough some '06 models

Click me

and here is the link for the Drip rail, if the dealer doesnt know what your talking about just print this page off and give it to them, that usualy clues them in linky linky I need to get this done myself

what I would look at is 1. Lift pump, is it dead or dieing. 2. clogged fuel filter. 3. I would have the dealer check the HPCR pressure, this might point to the CP3 might be bad.

I havent heard anything about the AAM9.25FA leaking, I know mine is dry on the outside.

I'll do some research about the engine stopping and see if I can dig some stuff up.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:24 AM
JOEY

DREW THANKS FOR THE INFO--MAYBE MY DEALER WILL NOW EXPRESS SHOCK THAT HE COULD HAVE MISSED THIS TSB ON THE DRIP RAIL--HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Quick Reply: ENGINE SHUT DOWN