Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Umm... question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 05:08 AM
GhettoerkP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Umm... question?

Hi, I'm new to the whole thing, having recently taken a huge interest in the Cummins. My dad has owned a 2001 Duramax Chevy 2500 and now owns a 2004 Powerstroke Ford F-350. I've driven them both, and thanks to him, I'm in love with the torque and power of trucks and the lovely whistle of a turbo diesel. I don't drive a Dodge yet (nor have I ever), but my dad wants to get me one before I hit college (yes, I'm 17....). We're looking on Ebay and I've found a 2003 Dodge Ram SLT, CTD regular cab (less weight = more speed ) w/ a 4 spd. automatic and 4x4. Sounds like what I want except for the auto tranny (great price too). I've heard that there's a lot of issues with Dodge's automatic and handling all the torque. I also plan to use a superchip or Banks power tuner on it, which will up the strain on the tranny intensely. I talked with a mechanic buddy of mine, and he told me the following about the Dodge:

1. There's been so many issues with the auto trannies. He has a friend who had to take it into the shop 6 times in one year. Something kept failing or breaking... I also hear a lot about slower shifts and rougher gear engagements on the 1990s trannies... Did that continue to the newer ones?
2. The 3.73 axle has issues too. He says I'd be better off going with the 4.?? (can't remember the number off the top of my head). From what I've been reading, the majority seems to swing toward the 3.73. Advantages? Disadvantages?
3. The 6 speed manual is much stronger and would get me better mileage (which is the usual case, seeing as it has more speeds and is of course a manual), but more importantly can handle the torque of stock or aftermarket much better than the auto.

Finally, I'd like to know... If I get the automatic, is there any way I can make it stronger? I was on the BD website the other day (they have this really nice twin turbo kit I'll never afford haha), and they were talking about how their aftermarket flex plates and such could make it cope with the increased stress. They used it in junction with the twin turbo kit (which they said made 550 hp and 1400+ lb-ft. on a 2002 Cummins [sm=jawdrop.gif].... I know huh?), and said it could more than handle it. So I ask you all.... go ahead and shoot for the automatic? or wait for a manual to fly by my way?

Thank you for your time reading this excessively long post/question. I'd very much appreciate some feedback. I'd also like to apologize in advance for any possible stupid mistakes. I'm not entirely knowledgeable about the whole ordeal, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Umm... question?

wow. .. loaded questions, lets see what I can bite off and chew up for ya.

first of all the 48RE tranny dodge is useing now is MUCH better than the 47RE, but it still has a few issues on occasion. but for the most part it is a reliable tranny. the only problem that can realy be spoken of is if you put more than 400hp and 700ft-lb it is going to slip, you'll mushroom the torque converter and break the input and output shafts. however, the same thing happens if an allison is behind it as well. it is hard to tame 600ft-lb of torque when it hits at only 1500rpm. You can have DTT work the tranny over so it wont break, put on some boxes and make corvette owners cuss at you cause their 50K sports car just lost to a 4x4 diesel truck pulling 8K behind it

in stock form, the truck as a whole is a work horse and will pull anything you hook up to without breaking a sweat. granted it is a 4 speed and having a 6 speed auto would be much nicer, but that is in the works. the Manual, if your able to find one is the trusty NV5600. swap out the aluminum bell houseing, put on a stronger clutch and replace the input shaft and it will easily handle well over 1400ft-lb of torque. the manual IS a heavy duty transmission. infact if it was any bigger you couldnt have syncronizers. out of the big three this is the best manual tranny. the only thing is that you cannot speed shift it. the internals are so massive something will break if you miss something. also speed shifting with the clutch will wear out the syncros VERY fast, again, due to the size of the machined parts. starting in mid 2005 the trusty NV5600 was changed out by the G-56. the jury is still out on this one but from all indications things are looking ok. the manual can handle more power in stock form, the only problem is shifting. however, getting the auto worked over by someone who knows what they are doing will be better.

unless you plan on doing alot of towing, and towing heavy, the 4.10's are a waiste of fuel. the 3.73's will do the job VERY well and in stock form they will handle anything you put infront of it. when Dodge changed from Dana to AAM for their axels there was quite an uproar, but people actualy came to like the AAM's. the only problem is with the front axel ball joints wearing out quick. I'm keeping a good eye on mine, they havent shown any slop yet, but I know they will soon.

if you get the truck you wont be dissapointed, pull the muffler off and slap on some 5" stacks and you'll have THE coolest truck of the lot.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:45 PM
forester

What are AAM axles,, they look like Dana's but on closer inspection something different is cast into the banjo,, my '05 2500 4x4 is in need of a new complete assembly after only 10K kilometers, what 's with that?

Old 12-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Batphreak
Veteran

ORIGINAL: forester

What are AAM axles....
These guys:

American Axle and Manufacturing

Why your '05 needs a replacement, probably faulty, 10K Km, should still be under warranty.

Quick Reply: Umm... question?