Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

DEF and biodiesel questions about Cummins.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 06:33 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DEF and biodiesel questions about Cummins.

Hi all!

ive always had gas. but lately have decided to switch to diesel. in doing so I have some questions.

1. Ive been told that late model rams with DEF are not able to be converted to biodiesels later if desired... is that true?

2. I was also told if you delete the DEF you can then convert to biodiesel. true?

3 I was ALSO told you straight up by someone else you cant do it at all unless its non DEF model.

I have to admit i have little knowledge about diesel engines. ive been told by many diesel guys that NON DEF and or DEF Deleted models are much more desirable...

Thanks for any help with this.

at the end of the day i was the newest truck possible with a cummins that can run biodiesel OR be converted to it.

Old 08-18-2021, 07:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,299 Likes on 3,045 Posts

What needs to be converted to run on bio-diesel??? Isn't fuel fuel?? (not real knowledgeable about diesels.....)

DEF is part of the emissions package on your truck, and removing/disabling it is technically illegal. If you have inspections in your area, I suspect that would cause an immediate fail.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:53 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What needs to be converted to run on bio-diesel??? Isn't fuel fuel?? (not real knowledgeable about diesels.....)

DEF is part of the emissions package on your truck, and removing/disabling it is technically illegal. If you have inspections in your area, I suspect that would cause an immediate fail.

Hey bud, hope you've been good! I live in the UP remember? zero emissions. I talked to the local dealer and another private mechanic. Deleting DEF will allow me to run bio the way i want. not exactly sure why or how but I trust their opinions enough.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,299 Likes on 3,045 Posts

Originally Posted by Packwood Digital
Hey bud, hope you've been good! I live in the UP remember? zero emissions. I talked to the local dealer and another private mechanic. Deleting DEF will allow me to run bio the way i want. not exactly sure why or how but I trust their opinions enough.
Convenient.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:36 AM
Packwood Digital
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Convenient.
just an update, got me a 2017 2500 with the cummins full delete 5 stage tuner, airbags, etc 50K miles.

so far im as happy as a clam in a shell. its funny how you dint realize how incredibly bad your current truck is getting until you get a new one.

now ive finally got time to pull the trans again and rebuild it stronger in the old truck.

Quick Reply: DEF and biodiesel questions about Cummins.