Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Shadow Caster
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions?

Ok I have a question. I have heard that in 2007 there is a new cummins engine going into the dodge pickup? I also heard that is 2009 Dodge will switch from the cummins to something else?? Can someone please answer these for me? I just hope Dodge doesnt screw up and ruin by changing engines. Also I want to know what the cheapest way to pull out about an extra 75 to 100 horsepower out of my 2002 cummins? I dont want to spend alot of money but I want some more power. I have 3.55 gears and a 5 speed tranny. It is also a 4x4. Thanks alot.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Questions?

first of all. . .there are rumors, strong rumors, but rumors none the less that a 6.7L power plant is going to be the next Cummins to be set into the truck. I dont know anything about 2009, but I would imagine Cummins would still be powering the trruck.

Next, about getting that extra kick out of your truck. there are quite a few different boxes that you can buy, the ones I would look at for the 100 or less improvement would be the Quadzilla Box, Van Aaken, or an Edge box for that year. your still running the VP44 pump, a pump that I personaly dont like alot since it fails quite easily when the lift pump goes out. these boxes are going to run out around 400-600 depending on what you want.

hope that helps

Old 02-12-2006, 10:50 AM
PRam
Professional

I had someone tell me that Cummins was moving to Ford because DC was not going to pay Cummins enough money. I blew him off and just figured he didn't know what he was talking about, now I wonder if he might have heard about the start of a bad thing!
Paul

Old 02-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Drew
Professional

ORIGINAL: PRam

I had someone tell me that Cummins was moving to Ford because DC was not going to pay Cummins enough money. I blew him off and just figured he didn't know what he was talking about, now I wonder if he might have heard about the start of a bad thing!
Paul
that rumor and many others have been going around ever since the Cummins was put under the hood of the Ram. It is mostly the Ford guys that are saying it since they are jellous that they dont have the Cummins engine.

Any myth you hear about the Cummins being plucked out of the Ram is just that, a myth. DC knows they will be commiting Murder on the Ram if the Cummins is pulled out in favor of something else.

Old 02-13-2006, 07:27 AM
Saint
Veteran

DCX has been working on putting a Mercedes Diesel in the Ram for years, however they haven't been able to get the bugs out yet. For now the Cummins will remain in the Ram, and DCX is re working their contract so that Cummins will only be allowed to supply Dodge. However, from what I'm hearing from employees that post on other sites I visit, it is no longer a question of if the Mercedes Diesel wil make it into the Ram it's a question of when.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Bikertrash

That's really too bad. Mercedes diesels are crap. Our company got 3 Freightliner delievery vans about 2 years ago with a Mercedes 5 cyl diesel. All of them had problems too numerous to mention and two of them blew the engines at about 140k miles. Replacement engines cost $12K, not worth the 20mpg they get. The whole van was made by Mercedes and imported by Freightliner. They can't even keep the doors on. There was a time when Mercedes made one of the best cars in the world. Their quality has slipped to one of the worst in my opinion.

We also run delievery vans with Cummins engines, both 6BT and ISB. They are running well over 400k miles.

If Dodge makes that mistake, I won't be back for a new truck!

Old 02-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Saint
Veteran

Really, the Mercedes diesels that I work on are just about impossible to break, the gear that the engine is in is the worst piece of crap I've ever worked on, but the engine just won't die, and this is gear that we use during combat, I can't think of a harder test then that.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Shadow Caster
Rookie

Ok I am a Diesel mechanic and I used to work at a Freightliner dealership. I was told but not definately that dodge want to put the MBE 900 in the truck. That is a totally different engine then the 5 cylinder that you were talking about. The MBE 900 is a 6 cylinder or a 4 cylinder version. I have been to school to learn to work on those and they are not too bad of an engine. The downfall is that there is not much way to tweak the power. Pretty much how you get it is how it is. I personally think that Dodge will suffer if they let the cummins go. Although Chrysler owns mercedes I can see using their own product but there are alot of guys who buy the dodge just because it has a Cummins under the hood. I like the Dodge truck but the cummins really makes my mind up for me.

Old 02-17-2006, 02:29 PM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

ford is saposably going to have 3 options for diesels soon the powerstroke, the cumins, and a cat. that is what ive heard from a few people.

Old 02-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Drew
Professional

the Ford crowd will say anything. . .and I mean anything. International-Navistar has Ford by the *****, and ford is useing everything that is tossed at them. their next venture is supposed to be a 6.4L Twin Turbo, 360hp, 680ft-lb. if it is anything like the 03 and 04 powerchokes it'll take a few years to work the bugs out and by that time Fords 2/350's will be unsellable.

Quick Reply: Questions?