Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Biodiesel.....???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 02:59 PM
cummins2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biodiesel.....???

Hello Team...!!!

Anyone here into Biodiesel...???

Just found that Willie Nelson has his onw Biodiesel Company......!!!!

Has anyone tried this in the Cummins engine...????

Also, the new ULS Diesel will improve the MPG figures...???

http://www.wnbiodiesel.com/

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel

Old 03-01-2006, 03:12 PM
RamViper
Default RE: Biodiesel.....???

are you liking biodiesel

Old 03-01-2006, 03:22 PM
cummins2006

ORIGINAL: RamViper

are you liking biodiesel
Seems to be an interesting concept....more curious about the cost and MPG.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:31 PM
cummins2006

OK...Just found on the "User's Manual" that you can use Biodiesel in the Cummins engine but only B5 (5% Biodiesel/95% Diesel)

More links from a local company that selle B100 Biodiesel at $3.00 per gallon.
I though the whole idea of biodiesel was to get cheaper fuel [&:]

Anyway...seems like is easy to made your own Biodiesel and it will cost you around 0.75 to $1.00 per gallon, the only issue is that if you use more than the 5% mix, you can void your warranty.

http://www.houstonbiodiesel.com/links.htm

Old 03-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats what the manual tells you, however you can run up to B20 with no problems, this is from Cummins. DC suggests B5 cause there are those that are dumb about Bio.

Now, you can make Bio for less than the $3/gal, if you make it on your own, I'm currently researching the plans of building my own Bio still from a water heater to crack the oil down.

oh, BTW, when Bio is made right it has a higher cetane rateing than Diesel, more than 10x the lubricating properties, gives better mileage, and is cheaper. I know quite a few that run B10-B20 year round and their trucks are quieter and run better than mine. then you have the one guy out there that is running B100 with all the hop-up goodies pounding 350hp to the wheels

the only thing about starting on Bio is that when you first start running it it will free up all the crud that is clinging in your fuel tank and the fuel lines causeing the filter to clog. some guys are forced to change their fuel filter 2-3 times before all the gunk is out of the system from running just one tank of B5

Old 03-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Bikertrash

Check the Cummins web site. They have some information about this. They say that power output and fuel economy will be slightly less than that of pure diesel.

Old 03-07-2006, 03:28 PM
cummins2006

What will be the real cost of producing your own Biodiesel...???? and will be OK to use 100% Biodiesel in the CTD engine??
If the cost of producing your own Biodiesel is really cheap, I would not mind a slight loss in power output and fuel economy.

Old 03-07-2006, 04:02 PM
GlenninTexas
Rookie

As I see it the problem with making your own Biodeisel is /will be the availability of the vegatable oil.
Right now it's cheap to make because guys are able to find restraunts and such that will let them pump their used oil tanks for free. It helps both sides - the restraunt owner doesn't have to pay someone to come pump out the tank every week and the Bio maker get his key ingrediant for just the labor of pumping the tanks. As time goes by and more and more people try to do it, you'l see 1) less availability, someone else is already getting the used oil. and 2) restraunt owners will want to charge a price for the used oil, thereby raising the costs of making your own.

Regards, Glenn

Old 03-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what I hear McDonalds has the highest PH of the oils out there. this will cause you to have to add more chemicals in when you are titrating the oil. the best oil to get is from chinese restrants the PH is lower and is also easier to work with. this is just from what I read online.

I have been thinking about creating my own Bio reactor and adding in about 5-10 gallons per fill-up.

the wife kinda likes the idea, untill we look at the checkbook in order to get the materials and chemicals[:@]

there are 5 Bio refineries/retailers here in Georgia. unfortuantely none are near me[:'(]

Old 03-12-2006, 02:14 AM
Possum1
Rookie

havent run any myself cause thers non for sell around here yet and i run all over the contry but on 1 of my runs i ran into a group of guys in fl that make there own and have been for 3 years 1 had a 6.0 powerstoke 1 had durapiss and 2 CTD's they run 100% bio with no problems but they said they had a slight drop in performance being in cental fl there is no real conserns of fuel gelling thats why most people mix itthey have a resterunt beside there shop that gives them the oil and they said it cost the about 50cents a gal to make it so that was my experance with it those fellers seem to be thrilled with it me i would be thrilled with 50 cents a gall but deppresed on some perfomace loss they said about 8 % loss