Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

diesel or gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 02:19 AM
garpoonga
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diesel or gas

I posted this in the second gen forum as well, but thought I'd try here after someone suggested it.

I am looking at a new truck, I want a 1 ton diesel. I currently have a gas 5.9 2500, it hauls great and gets 11.5 mpg fully loaded. There are pros and cons to both, I just can't figure it out. I haul my boat and camper so for that reason a diesel is the obvious choice.

However I have found from all the looking on the web that diesels may not be as reliable as a gas engine, the parts are more expensive, maintenece is more. I have also heard that the front ends need considerable more work due to the extra weight. Diesel now costs the same as or sometimes more then gas. Is the MPG difference in a diesel truck really that much that it is worth it ?

Let the debate begin and with luck at the end I'll have a better idea.

Old 03-04-2006, 03:04 AM
fastappy
Default RE: diesel or gas

I just traded in my 2003 2500 Hemi (w/62K) 4x4 Quad Cab and got the 2006 CTD 2500 4x4 Quad Cab. The CTD stickered at 42K and I got it for 36K w/zero percent financing, so I'm very happy with the deal.

The Cummins Diesel is an excellent bullet proof motor, and you'll get 350K out of the motor if not more. Currently I'm getting 17.5 mpg on the Cummins (I only have 350 miles on the truck), but I can see this motor getting stronger and better fuel economy with age.

There's some good deals out there and with Cummins you'll get a motor that will be around as long as you need it, better fuel economy, more torgue for better towing.

Since I pull 3-4 horses in my trailor, I traded in the 2002 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 and got the Hemi. To be honest I was really disappointed in the Hemi. It was a real gas hog, especially when towing when it got 5-9 mpg. I didn't have a lot of confidence the Hemi would be around much more than 100K, and I really love the CTD. The 610 ft lbs of torque is really crazy compared to the 1983 Ford (power stroke?) I use to own. I regreted selling that truck and have come back home to best Diesel motor on the market. The CTD is also so much more quieter than earlier diesels.

Advantages: 1) Much better fuel economy, especially w/a load, 2) A lot more durable and longevity, 3) A lot more torque and thus tows better, 4) Should have better re-sale value, & 5) (my personal favorite) They just sound and feel like a truck should.

Old 03-04-2006, 03:25 AM
murfman
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm actually considering trading my 1999 CTD QC 3500 in on a Power Wagon. Not sure about the 3rd gen Cummins, but there seems to be many problems with the "Bulletproof" cummins motors in the 2nd gen trucks. (Killer Dowel pin, Lift pumps on 24V motors, Injector pumps on 98-99 24V motors, and the "53" Block) and with the price of Diesel being .70 Cents a gallon more than Gas here in the south Chicago 'Burbs, I may be ready to Jump ship. That said My CTD has been very dependable, I bought it with 125,000 Miles I installed a FP gauge and found my lift pump was dead (Who knows for how long?) replaced the LP and I'm current ly at 165,000 miles with no other problems. Its not an easy call, 5500.00 for the Cummins as an option, and replacement parts are$$$ as well. The motor will last forever, its just the add-ons that worry me. At work we have a '03 Hemi with 140,000 HARD miles and it has been nothing but reliable. My thought is if you have a trailer behind it 24/7 definately a Cummins, I do not tow all that often, hence the tough decision before me. Peace Murf

Old 03-04-2006, 03:50 AM
garpoonga
Professional

Hmmm, see a pro and a sort of a con. No way this will be an easy choice. Oh well, keep it comin.

I do love the sound and smell of a diesel, brings back many memories from the army.

Old 03-04-2006, 04:14 AM
garpoonga
Professional

Also when I buy a new truck it will only be a few years old, so it will probably be 2003 or newer depending on mileage.

Old 03-04-2006, 10:13 AM
donnie
Professional

From a mileage standpoint, you cant beat a diesel
IV got an 05 2500, and it get 18-20 for a combined hwy and city.
The power is great. It should be great for whatever you want to haul.
The only regret I have is that I didnt get one sooner.
IMHO< you wont regret it.

Old 03-04-2006, 05:02 PM
longbow362

I have an 02 24v CTD with 185K miles on and the only thing that i've done is replace the LP, the clutch master cylinder, and the batteries. When it comes to towing you cant beat a cummins. I pull a 45 ft gooseneck with two mud trucks and I get 17 mpg all day long. I wouldnt trade my cummins for anything but a newer one.

Old 03-04-2006, 06:20 PM
garpoonga
Professional

ORIGINAL: murfman

Killer Dowel pin, Lift pumps on 24V motors, Injector pumps on 98-99 24V motors, and the "53" Block

Whats the low down on these problems that murfman mentioned ?

Old 03-05-2006, 03:43 PM
murfman
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the Killer dowel pin is a 25 cent dowel pin that aligns the front timing housing, it has a habit of vibrating loose and fallin into the gear train, causing up to 3000.00 worth of damage, the lift pump goes out frequently, and costs ~150.00, but with the 24 valve motor the injector pump will pull the fuel from the fuel tank. This overworks the injector pump, and may cause it to fail at ~2000.00. The 98-99 Injector pumps seem to go out prematurely as well (Most likely related to the lift pump), the "53" block is a casting that often cracks on the passenger side of the motor, this requires a new short block to repar at ~ 3000.00. all this being said, there is a fix for the KDP, Run a Fuel Pressure gauge to watch the lift pump, and check for the 53 block before you buy the truck. I currenty have 165K on my "53" block, with one replcaement of the lift pump, and I did the KDP PM, with no other problems whatsoever.

Old 03-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Bikertrash

What is the fix for the killer dowel pin?
Can you get me pointed in the right direction?

I have an 01 CTD short bed Quad 4X4.
Love the truck!

Quick Reply: diesel or gas