Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New Duramax performance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 11:52 PM
HemiMan4451
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Duramax performance?

Some guy I know says the with just a programmer he is running 13's? I find that very hard to believe. What if he got the Banks six gun package or whatever?

Old 04-24-2006, 03:51 PM
dieselram
Captain
Default RE: New Duramax performance?

Its possible, but not safe. I saw on Trucks or Horsepower TV where they ran just one plug in module on an brand new F250 and ran 13.6-13.8 (can't remember the exact time, but it was in the 13s). This is possible, but I bet the EGT's are in the dangerous area and are damaging the engine. I have a Power Pup that can add an extra 230hp/300ftlb, but without a larger turbo, upgraded intake and exhaust the enigine will dump black smoke and burn up the turbo and along with the engne.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:21 PM
HemiMan4451
Champion

So if I bought an 04 CTD, and got a performance tuner like that, and did some minor upgrades, I'd be running 13's?

:EDIT: Are the Chevy and Ford diesels just faster than the Cummins, and I know diesels are not for racing, I'm just curious?

Old 04-26-2006, 08:00 PM
josh2500
Rookie

I dont know which one is faster stock. My brother has a 02 ford with the old 7.3 in it and its a real good truck, and when i got my new truck we went out and ran them and the dodge was a good bit quicker. I dont know about the new ones with the 6 liter in them. I have ran against a few just messing around but i had my chip turned up so i dont know. Im sure you could look up the specs on the net somewhere though.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:43 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HemiMan4451

So if I bought an 04 CTD, and got a performance tuner like that, and did some minor upgrades, I'd be running 13's?

:EDIT: Are the Chevy and Ford diesels just faster than the Cummins, and I know diesels are not for racing, I'm just curious?

stock and unloaded, the chevy and ford's will trounce the cummins, however put a load on all three and this is where the cummins shines.

now I have done a rolling race on a ford before, he was an auto and I was keeping up, but he was inching away from me slowly. what I dont like about the ford and chevy though is how the engine runs, 3K RPM's is the normal power band, thats just wrong for a diesel.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:17 PM
dieselram
Captain

I'll take longevity over speed any day, I like being able to drive home from the track too

Old 04-28-2006, 12:10 AM
HemiMan4451
Champion

ORIGINAL: Drew

ORIGINAL: HemiMan4451

stock and unloaded, the chevy and ford's will trounce the cummins, however put a load on all three and this is where the cummins shines.

now I have done a rolling race on a ford before, he was an auto and I was keeping up, but he was inching away from me slowly. what I dont like about the ford and chevy though is how the engine runs, 3K RPM's is the normal power band, thats just wrong for a diesel.
I just read something on some GM forum where they were testing out all the new diesels (GM was doing this) and Chevy had their 360hp japanese diesel and they all raced with like a 3k pound trailer and Dodge was last, and Chevy first.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3k aint ****!!!

lets start talking when the load hits 15K

anyway, one thing I forgot to mention about the Duramax, aluminum block, aluminum heads. . .ford, is the same.

Old 04-29-2006, 12:12 AM
tcarothers
Rookie

I have personally drove a few of the new Dura****s pulling different sized loads and our work truck at my job are PowerJokes. My 2500 Quad will out pull both, weight and speed! The Duramax might as well be a gas motor for what it is worth, lossey milage, no power, but does ride really fine ( with no suspention under it, what do you expect ). The Power stroke is a good solid truck, but life expectance is only around 250,000, half of that of a cummins, and it starts seeing major power loss due to wear at about 150,000 ( but is does ride like a tank). Just my 3.3 cents if it is worth anything. Troy
IF YOU ARE A STROKIN YOU ARE A JOKIN

Quick Reply: New Duramax performance?