Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Trustworthy Truck and how I use one

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 03:03 AM
BlinkyWooWoo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trustworthy Truck and how I use one

I am looking to buy myself a 03 or newer 2500 CTD later this year, I have been reading as much as I can about various bits of information about the Ram 2500 and am very anxious to get one of my own. I am extremely impressed with my Fire Department's Ram 3500 Retrofitted into a Brush truck. 4x4 Auto Trans, and overweighted from the day we ordered it and this thing still performs like a champ. 2550lbs. of Water in a 300Gallon tank, plus 1,200lbs atleast in tools, V-Twin Pump, Chainsaws, Forestry Hose, etc.... and still with only All Terrain tires it bogs through sand better then I thought it could.

Heres a pic of Strike Team A. 1 of 2 strike teams for Wildland Fire fighting, plus we have 4 Reserve trucks incase of failure. none have failed yet.

Heres a pic of myself driving our Ram 3500 Brush Truck down a dirt path with some fire sceneary. (The Window was hot to the touch)

This truck wont stop for a 2 inch pine tree! The intent of my post is to express that Ive seen what these trucks can do so i'm already SOLD on one, I would like some suggestions on what to look for on a used one, Good - Bad, what wears out the fastest, Ive read about the Lift pump. but any further information would be much appreciated.

FF. S. Imhof
BCFD Station 1

Old 04-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Trustworthy Truck and how I use one

the 03's are the first year of the HPCR engines, fully electronic. and these were the last runs of the trucks that got good fuel mileage. and I mean averageing in the 20's. my 04.5 sees anywhere between 17-19 depending on traffic( and I have 4.10's)

the only thing that is realy junk on these trucks are the front ball joints being weak on the AAM9.25's for the 4x4's. the ball joints, youlks, and u-joints are all greaseless design, however, the aftermarket is starting to catch up and supply greasable joints for these trucks.

if I forgot something I'm sure someone will catch it.

Old 04-28-2006, 05:55 PM
dieselram
Captain

Great photos, glad to see the truck never left you stranded out there. Do you have any photos of the outside? With the glass hot to the touch, did the paint bubble or peel?

I don't know much about the trucks, but I had to post after seeing those pics.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:55 AM
BlinkyWooWoo

Heres some pics of the outside of our 2000 CTD 3500 4x4 Auto

Quick Reply: Trustworthy Truck and how I use one