Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Performance Chip, EGT's and an Exhaust Brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 01:37 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Chip, EGT's and an Exhaust Brake

Does anyone know of a performance chip that will automataclly monitor the EGT and back off if the EGT gets too high? If there is such a thing, do I need to install a sending unit or sensor to monitor the EGT's, or is this done through the ECM? I need this for an 01 CTD. Also, will putting a performance chip on a CTD that has an exhaust brake cause engine problems later down the road? or do I just need to keep a close eye on the EGT's?

Thanks
Bob

Old 05-03-2006, 02:36 AM
josh2500
Rookie
Default RE: Performance Chip, EGT's and an Exhaust Brake

The edge attitude monitor monitors boost, egt, engine temp, and the load on your motor. You can set all three of these to whatever you want and if it ever reaches that boost or temp the chip will shut off. It even monitors torque converter lock up and transmission slipage. I dont know if they make these for your 01 or not though. If they dont then a nice set of gauges for your pillar should work great.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the exhaust beake will do no harm since there is about a 1-2 second delay before it kicks in. Yes, edge has EGT monitoring, so does TST, and Bully Dog and all will de-fuel if things get too hot.

or you can go my route and get a dual boost / EGT gage

for the pyrometer you will have to drill a hole in either the down tube after the turbo, or in the exhaust manifold. locating the pyrometer in the exhaust manifold gives you more realistic temps and will tell you when your about to melt a valve, after the turbo the temps are considerably less, about 250F or so. this is good to tell when to shut the engine off, but is rather slow to react if your realy getting onto the throttle

Old 05-03-2006, 01:02 PM
dodgegirl67
Professional

I have a 2003 Dodge diesel and I have the Edge computer on mine. I didnt see where you could get the Edge with the external monitor of the EGT, boost and trans temp. I added the gauges and pod to mine. Very easy to do. Looks good also. I took the EDGE and did wire wraps around the pins that you put the jumpers on to change levels and ran them to a switch I mounted in the vehicle. I can change levels now from inside the vehicle while its running down the road. I fixed it with wire wraps instead of hard soldering it in case I needed to send the computer back for any problems. All I have to do is put the jumpers back on it and reattach the face plate and send it off. I have it also where I can disconnect everything and leave the cable running from the computer to the back of the switch inside the vehicle alone. This is in case I need to take it to a dealership for any maintenance they dont see the computer. I play dumb and give them the "I'm a female..I just thought the gauges were cute so I had them added..." works everytime. I LOVE MY DODGES!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/34074/1839B84992584A58B06A005D48933C42.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Performance Chip, EGT's and an Exhaust Brake