Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 01:28 AM
RustProofCorn
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mileage

Stupid Painters!! Well bought my new truck 3 weeks ago saturday and finally got my truck into the shop for some odds and ends done (painters the dealer i bought my truck from) i say finally because there two weeks out [:@]... Anyways i was having three things looked at one was rubbing from my 35's which they fixed.. number two was the cowling over the wiper motors and stuff was on right but they pushed out the seal and they said they wanted to order a whole new cowling and i have to wait two weeks to get it repaired... and three they were supposed to recalibrate my speddo so that i was going the right speed and so my odometer isnt off... and when i go to pick it up they say they couldnt get the speedo exactlly right because my tires arent a size they have in there machine so my speedo will be just a little off... so when i drive away down the road there was one of them speed trap things that posts your speed and i thought cool so I can check my speedo so i went 50 mph and it said i was going 46 [:@] um so mad.... sucks so bad i go about 30000 miles/year and now i am going to be off and it will hurt me atleast before it was to my benifit.. stupid jerks... anyways does anyone know a company that will recalibrate my speedo and get it right i have 315/70/17's???

P.S. man it has been slow in here nobody wants to talk about there trucks??? you go to 3rd generation and there talking like crazy lets get a talking peeps.. I love this forum...

Old 07-11-2006, 03:14 AM
RAPOM
Default RE: Mileage

I have been having a hard time finding good vendors to do work on my truck. I'm not afraid to pay for quality work, but I hate feeling like I'm being taken to the cleaners. I have found a great exhuast guy, now I need a auto body place and a tranyy place. As far as mileage I have a 4 spd auto and 4:10s but I still manage 18 to 19 on the highway empty. I have to admit mileage is not that big of a concren for me. I have a short commute but still drive for sheer enjoyment of it. I take road trips and I will be adding a auxiliary fuel tank tool box combo to increase my range. I'm not wealthy but a few extra dollars a week is not going to kill me. If I really wanted to save money I could drink less beer............................Ha Ha Ha Ha..............I just don't see that happening.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:58 AM
ramtradxb
Professional

to Rustproof:
Assuming you have an '06, it's true the computer they use in that year uses a different language and they (CD) don't have the ability to select a tire revs/per/mile as they could with the older computers - they can only select from a list of various tire sizes right now. And the largest is equal to about a 33 inch diameter tire...
But if according to your speedo you were going 50 and you were (according to the gov) only going 46, then something is wacko - as none of the tire size selections would allow for that inverse reaction. Makes me wonder if the government's unit needed calibration...? (or someone going slower than you was behind you and for some reason the unit didn't actually pick up your speed)
I have 35's and they set my speedo to the largest (equal to 33's) so when my speedo says I am going 70 I am actually going about 74 (which is what the gov' says on their calibrated units). But if you paid 'em to fix that, or bought the truck with the larger tires, they should recheck it for you to make sure they selected the largest tire size possible.
BTW - a 315/70-R17 is actually closer to 34.5 inches in diameter when properly inflated...
And out of curiousity - what did they do to stop the rubbing of your tires?
As for an aftermarket "machine" to reset the speedo - I haven't checked in the last month, but prior to that no one was selling a unit that could correctly correct (operative) for the tires larger than 33's for the new '06 computers - some would say they could but when they'd hook the unit up, they couldn't get it to correct...but maybe now there's a unit out there that can do this guys?

Old 07-12-2006, 12:28 AM
jagj52
Rookie

I have read that there is a power pack.... I think that Edge makes it, and it will recallibrate you speedo for any size tires you put on your rig.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:34 AM
RustProofCorn
Professional

yeah i rechecked at 45 mph i am only doing 42mph.... freakin jerks... I like my truck just dont like the service i am getting from Dodge... i had ford and gmc before this dodge and not only could i get the vehicle in the same day but what they did always worked i just feel like they were trying to take the easy way out rather than fixing me right.. and it isnt like i installed the wheels tires or leveling kit they sold it new to me like this i would think they should be able to make it work properly...

Old 07-12-2006, 01:19 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

ORIGINAL: jagj52

I have read that there is a power pack.... I think that Edge makes it, and it will recallibrate you speedo for any size tires you put on your rig.
I have an edge and it has a speedo on it's attitude monitor... you can adjust that speedo to match your tire size but it wont re-cal the dash speedo.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:52 PM
natemid

I too have 315/70/17s.

I've got the edge with attitude monitor, and I have the superchips flashpaq....both say they can adjust for larger tires.

Well, all I can say is that one or both are still wrong. I installed my edge first, but then wanted to see if the flashpaq was better, so I set the edge to stock and installed the superchips performance program.

I entered the same tire size into both devices (when the edge is set to stock it still uses the new tire size for calculating speed), but when I hit the road, the dash spedo and the edge still don't match.

After downloading the superchips program, the dash and the edge were closer together, but they are not the same. This tells me that at least one or maybe both are still not correct.

Bottom line is this...I have no idea how fast I'm actually driving.

-Nate

p.s. In case you're wondering...the two (edge and flashpaq) don't work at the same time. If the edge isn't set to stock, many trouble codes and dash lights!!

Old 07-12-2006, 05:02 PM
Deleted User
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 07-13-2006, 01:55 AM
RustProofCorn
Professional

38mph i am really traveling 35mph...

Old 07-13-2006, 04:08 PM