Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Little rigs to go faster for drags!!!??? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 03:42 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default RE: Little rigs to go faster for drags!!!??? Help?

I know on the gassers, the intake design can determine what power you get and where you get it (lower/upper rpms)... on the diesels however, IDK... I do know that if you open up the intake or exhaust too much you will loose low end torque but gain upper end HP...

Old 07-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the quicker you can get that turbo spinning the quicker the VP44 pump will begin to dump fuel. this is the reason I have a napa 2790 air filter. I ripped out the stock air box and put that in it's place, but I still need to work on it a bit since the filter worked off the assembly.

anyway, there is only so much air that stock turbo can push, after that hot air is going to be entering the cylinders and your egt's are only going to get higher. a boost elbow will push the numbers higher and will give you more power, but to a point.

if you want to blow his doors off you might need to look at injectors, larger turbo, and either a fass pump or walbro pump.

those 7.3 IDI's are good engines, and have alot of potential. but if you get someone that knows exactly what is needed on these 6 bangers they can be VERY quick and strong.

Old 07-13-2006, 04:06 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

ORIGINAL: Drew

.... but if you get someone that knows exactly what is needed on these 6 bangers they can be VERY quick and strong.
I have a neighbor with such knowledge... runs high 12's/low 13's in his QC 4X4 longbed... twin turbo setup with a ton of mods at such a young life... only 8000 miles on it. he's my hero! [sm=hail.gif]

Old 07-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Drew
Professional

goodness. . . twins are the thing to have on these trucks if you know what your doing, but I still know a guy that is making more power with one big turbo than he did with two.

DeAnna, check this downloader out, Mads Electronics I hear alot of good things about it giving 60 of the baddest hourses around

Old 07-13-2006, 08:22 PM
duneschick
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey! Can I use the Smarty with the edge chip without breaking stuff, Turbos etc? Thanks Drew, It seems reasonable although I never heard of it. Looks like it does it all. Thats Cool Where can I find the elbow for the turbo? I would love to have dual exhaust- two turbos!!! But they say the manifold is expensive and very beefy for my truck

Old 07-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Drew
Professional

the turbo's arent like your thinking. . .you have a smaller turbo and one that is larger. the larger turbo keeps the smaller one within the effeciency mapping by pressurizing the incomeing air charge to it. so basicaly it looks like this as far as plumbing:

air filter
large turbo
small turbo
engine
small turbo
large turbo
tail pipe

kinda like this

normal twins only push one bank on a v style engine, however since the cummins is inline this actualy pushes more pressure and more air keeping egt's down. now the boost elbow, I'm not sure. . .Ive seen them but cant remember where

Old 07-14-2006, 03:45 PM
duneschick
Professional

Thanks for the input Drew. Now I won't sound as dumb when talking to other people here in Utah. I was gonna ask how they put em' in the truck so thanks for the pics. All the rest of you- thanks for responding to my dilemmas! Wish me luck tonight as I am gonna race my baby! Won't win but will feel cool with the noise and the smoke streaming from my ride! Let you all know what I pull on the timers. Then the real mods will eventually happen.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Drew
Professional

you know. . .with your NV5600 and 4x4. . .hook to 20,000 pounds, put the transfer into 4 lo and tranny in 3rd, run the RPM's to 3200 and ease on the clutch, then see if your BF can pull the same load.

sled pulling might be a cool thing as well instead of having to row through the gears on the strip.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:57 PM
bigmike
Professional

my thoughts exactly Drew,
DeAnna you ought to try pulling a sled. Once you have let the clutch out slowly, mash the right pedal all the way down. be careful, because your baby may want to start hopping. you can use your left foot on the brake while you still got it floored to help alleviate this, but be careful. if it still wants to hop, stop before you drop your DS. try again the next week, with different air pressure in your tires. i guarantee your boy won't touch you in a pull.

anybody else besides me think it is hot when a lady has a badas# truck and actually knows what she is talking about?

Old 07-14-2006, 05:38 PM
Drew
Professional

ORIGINAL: bigmike
anybody else besides me think it is hot when a lady has a badas# truck and actually knows what she is talking about?

makes my pants a little tighter as well[sm=badbadbad.gif]

[sm=pcwhack.gif]

Quick Reply: Little rigs to go faster for drags!!!??? Help?