Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

35" Toyos anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 11:45 PM
BlkRam69
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35" Toyos anybody?

OK, This is the last time I'll ask this question I promise!

I finally socked away the cash and am going with the KORE leveling kit.

Now the question is the tires. (it has to be an E rated tire)

I have my heart set on the 35" Toyos but if they rub it is gonna bug me especially when my wife drives it without me!

(I'll see her in my minds eye cranking the wheel, hearing each lug as it rubs the control arm or whatever, and see the rear veiw bounce all while she asking herself...hmmm... his truck sure does make some funny noises, oh well, la la la) [&:] [] [:@] [sm=insomnia.gif]

So one last time, for those running the 35" Toyos how is the rub? I have reviewed the previous posts and some say yes there is some rub, and some say no. It seems the more I look at the tire options and other posts the rub isnt just coming from how tall the tire is but how wide as well.

The stock width is 11" and the Toyo is 13.2" . Of course anyone having good luck with another tire speak up couse I'm open. I dont think I can look at any more tires! [sm=outcold.gif]

Again I want to stay with the stock rim (I havent socked away that much money) and I am set on the E rating (stiffer sidewall, less bounce, higher load range, etc.)

Old 07-21-2006, 12:03 AM
blackwater_d
Default RE: 35" Toyos anybody?

Well I will tell you this. I had considered a leveling kit on my truck with 35's and the guy told me that there was no way it would work. So I changed my mind and went with a six inch full suspension lift and I am very glad that I did. I understand saving the money and I have been there and I know how bad you want those bad *** tires but I just dont think its gonna fit without rubbing. The last thing you want is to ruin an expensive set of tires like that. I'll also tell you this with my lift and a set of 20' wheels I dont have alot of room to spare with my 35's so consider that.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:51 AM
mdeps

Yup, I have them on my 06 Mega Cab, with the Kore leveling kit and yes they do rub on a hard right lock. At first I didnt notice it intil dieselram pointed out he had it. I see the rubber on the control arms but the tire on that side looks fine so it must me minor. I called Kore and they reasure me not to worry, BUT they do have a arms with a slight kink in it that does away with the problem if you want to go that route. I would like to go that route, but I am maxed out after I purchused the Road Armour bumper. It seems you have done your research on tires and you know what load range really means, the Toyo are awsome tires very quite for how agressive they are and meet the insurnace requirment on your policy. After the Ford/Firestone thing, if it came with E rated tires make sure you get an E rated tire are your insurance is in no way obligated for damage to your vheicle from a blow out are etc.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:36 AM
troop
Rookie

Ok you got me where did you get the KORE leveling kit I searched it and all I get is pictures of the damn thing you got a website and how much do they run, I'm looking to get a basic leveling kit, but i need one that is still gonna alow me to hang a 8.5 v-blade off from the front any suggestions? I could always just go with the heavier coils which I might have to do anyway.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:18 AM
BlkRam69
Professional

Actually the KORE leveling kit comes with a taller (progressive) coil and (Bilstien) shocks. It is more expensive and maybe thats why they dont advertise it on there site.

The leveling kit goes for around 5-550 or something like that + shipping but if you think about it it has to be better than the 2-3" plastic (or even the steel) wedges most are selling. Dont get me wrong, I'm sure there fine but the with weight of the CTD I'd just feel better. The next step up (the Recon) goes for around 1500 which adds additional leafs and shocks in the rear and of course they do have some even better packages depending on your application or what you wanna do.

They only have 4 distributors in the U.S. so I called KORE direct (California) but there East coast distributor KLM Performance is closer to me for shipping and quoted me the same price (I thought maybe they would charge more)

http://www.klmperformance.com/default.htm

I'm not sure if the others have a website but here are the distr. listed at the KORE site. I say give them a call if you have questions. One guy talked to me for about 25 min. Answered all my questions, seem to be good people.

http://koreperformance.com/dodge_lif...rchase-usa.htm

I'll def be calling (again) tomorrow to inquire about those control arms.

Thanks mdeps!

And thanks to all. Again any input is welcome. I need something or someone to push me off the fence!

Tires, Tires, Tires......

Old 07-21-2006, 03:54 AM
mdeps

To push anybody over the fence here's my opinion. The Bad, Any front end work will not be under warranty, dealer mite even use the tires as an issue for any other problem's that occur. Even though I said the Toyos were queit for that type of tire it will not be like stock, You will be able to here your tires. You will lose 1.5 to 2 mi. per gallon, Can you find the Toyo's ?, I just wish there was more competion in this area. The cost of course. Steering stabilizer needs to be change stock way to weak for that size tire. The Good, truck drives way better, probabley just the shocks I dont know, Truck looks clean, Everytime I have been out an about, there is someone by admireing my truck asking me questions, This is just my opinon we all have them, I hate the small tires and the big fenders not just on this truck but all trucks. The Bad out ways the good, so would I do anything different, No, this was the look I was after, because this is such great place to get info I sort of knew what I was getting into,and the CTD rocks.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:47 PM
duneschick
Professional

I have a basic leveling kit on mine (dealer put it on) and I am running 32-33" tires on 16" wheels. We put 35's on for a minute and well- problems. No good. There wasn't a whole lot of room to spare. I decided that the 33's aren't so bad at all. I wan't my truck lifted, but even with a good setup- you'll still be putting money into the front suspension. My buddy had a 1997 V-10 2500- and had it set up as the lift laws in Utah were passing- he was way to big. He was running like 6-1/2" lift, ahnd 3-4" body with 42" tires. Thing was monstrosious. That poor truck was falling apart- yeah I know you aren't gonna go that big! But 35's are a good tiresize- dealer advised against it. Even when I went from Stock to my 285's I lost 2-3 MPG alone. I would see if you have a friend with 35's compariable to the Toyo's and try em' out first. I work in advertising and all I hear when tires come through was "there to big" or "trade for smaller". My brother has a set of 33's and a set of 35's which he switches on occasion on his Dakota. Its cute for being a little Dodge! Good luck.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:39 PM
mikahb
Rookie

Well, I'm running the KORE Chase System with 35" Toyos on my 3500 - you may have seen my other posts. I get some rub at rull right lock, no rub at full left lock. It's not enough to bother me (or my wife, who drives the truck more than I do). It's also not anything (IMHO) that will cause any sort of damage. You cannot beat the KORE system for performance and quality - period. I think a 6" lift is overkill for 35's, unless you just want the look. If some rub will bother you - probably need 33's or more lift. If you can stand a little bit of rubbing, this is the best setup for somebody who's going to do substantial towing AND wants serious offroad performance. BTW, just to be clear, the rub is the lugs on the inner edge of the tire hitting the right upper control arm.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:41 AM
SpLaT
Captain

mikahb,

I'm interested in the KORE chase system, as I find lift kits are somewhat "cosmetic" and good for basically adding taller tires. I would like to hear/see what you think of the system: have you noticed better handling on say "washboard" roads? Has it improved the ride on pavement? Did you also install their sterring stablizer? And lastly cost?
I do about 85% of my driving on washboard/mud and snow and found on my last truck with the lift kit to run 37" tires simply added more stress to U-joints/ball joints to list a few, ride was nothing to sing about nor was the handling... KORE chase system seems according to literature, to be the system I need.

Quick Reply: 35" Toyos anybody?