Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

mileage update (if anyones interested)...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 01:27 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default mileage update (if anyones interested)...

well, just got back from Vancouver BC, 2350 miles and found my hiway mileage to be 17.3~17.5 while solid city driving around vancouver to be 14.3. Not too bad. Average IIRC was 16.8 for the 4 tanks I filled up.

I have an ATS manifold sitting in the garage which is supposed to boost torque around 1700 rpms... it'll be interesting to see what it does to the city/hiway mileages...

Old 07-24-2006, 03:32 AM
RustProofCorn
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: mileage update (if anyones interested)...

well i to went on a trip to Alaska but i went by plane and left my truck here... my wife drove it while i was away and when i got into the truck my jaw dropped i had filled the truck up the day i left for her and it was close to empty when i got in the truck... oh and why was my jaw dropped cause my mpg on the computer read 16 and there was 600 miles on the trip i havent ever been able to get it to do more than 11.3 mpg so i figure the truck must have loosten while i was gone or i really have a huge lead foot and my wife thank heavens drives like a girl.. not offense to some of the women we have here in the forum.... anyways i have been whining about my mileage since purchasing this truck and right about now i think i will say there is nothing i would change about my truck i absolutly love it... that doesnt mean i am not going to change anything however i am going to puchase a chip and a air intake and other misc things but the truck really is awsome as it sits...

Old 07-24-2006, 03:39 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

the more you drive it the better the mileage will get.

the 35's are killing you... get your speedo recaled and it should help. did this on my '00 and it was good for 1.2 mpg... could never figure it out but that's what the data showed.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:54 AM
ramtradxb
Professional

I'm just starting to see an improvement in mileage at 10K miles - although I do log all fuel and mileage at time of fill, so far I haven't sat down and done the math to see what I am getting for real. But soley as an indicator of relative change, the overhead is starting to go up about 1 mpg better than it had been for the first 9K.
But I am curious if I'm the only who thinks this way...My attitude is that the mileage is what it is -like the price of a gallon - and so knowing what it is all the time could possibly only serve to p___ me off. I'd rather drive the thing, fill it up when it's thirsty, and hope the logic that our country's economic base is very dependent upon the cost of a gallon of diesel (how many 18-wheelers do you see that are gasoline powered?) and therefore a gallon will remain reasonable. This past week I was camped in a park next to some folks from Denmark who had a rented a motorhome to see Cali, and were tickled pink that fuel was only about three bucks a gallon compared to the nearly six that they pay back in Europe...
But if I keep being hooked on all these forums, I will eventually break down and start calc'ing my MPG like everyone else. But for now - hey, anyone want to join the "who cares about MPG" club?

Old 07-24-2006, 01:30 PM
tcarothers
Rookie

Ramtradxb, I'll be the first to join I tell you, the milage that I am getting with my CTD is by far better than the 9mpg I was getting out of my 1990 Ford F-250 4x4 ( 302, 5speed, 200,000+ miles ans 33in rubber). Havent figured the milage on paper yet, by mentaly calculating it, I am getting between 18 and 19 mpg. So as far as I am concerned, even at $3.00 a gallon, I am money ahead.
Troy

Old 07-24-2006, 04:19 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

well some of us drive a butt load of miles each month so it pays to keep track of what's going on... i'm in the 3500/month range and the difference between 15 & 16 adds up pretty quick...

Quick Reply: mileage update (if anyones interested)...