Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Need Ford Help Really Bad **UPDATE**

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 01:57 AM
Big_N_Bad
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need Ford Help Really Bad

I have the stuff, It is just that she comes and goes so much, that it is hard for her to be without her truck, So I have not been able to work on it, But thanks for thinking of it, will post back when I get the stuff done,

BNB

Old 08-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Big_N_Bad
Professional

well did some work on it however to no avail, this is what i did, switched oil and oil filter, fuel filter, Cleaned air filter, checked and topped off al fluids, flushed the transmission, changed rear end oil, and still symptons occur, I used royal purple oil. what else could be the problem, injector maybe, The dealer said it might be the torque converter, just a thought

BNB

Old 08-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id say give it some time with the new oil. it might help out, it will jus take time to see.

Old 08-20-2006, 01:31 AM
tbuster1002

Here are a few things to check and I experienced them first hand. make sure the the hose to the turbo is not cracked and that both clamps are good, if it ever pops off or did, you need to replace it because it is now stretched. make sure the bolts to the cat. converter are tight and have the converter checked to see if it is clogged--easy way to check is to drive for a bit and look at the convt. if it is red hot, it is clogged. Friend of mine had the nuts fall of of the cat. convt. bolts and bouncing up and down the highway it would seperate, sould like it was under heavy strain, and loose power. Fords have International motors. Hope this helps, it not now, maybe in the future.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:06 PM
jakebrake
Champion

It couldn't be the exhaust if the turbo is spooling. I'm wondering if it could be you High Pressure oil pump or something in that system like the icp sensor or regulator. Sounds to me that you are not getting clean oil or fuel to the injectors. I would check out your icp pressure. If it is low then dead head the pump and see what kind of #'s you get.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:26 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BNB, Did you get this figured out?

Old 10-26-2006, 11:33 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

Another Ford forum that you can use, very good in my opinon, is www.thedieselstop.com. When i owned a powerstroke I used that website. :-)

Old 10-27-2006, 10:07 AM
altt225

I just traded in a 2000 Ford F-250 7.3 for my Dodge. The Ford had over 255,000 miles on it, so it has had it fare share of issues. A few months ago, I had the torque converter fail, not going into lockup. What engine rpm does your sister's Ford run at 70mph? If the torque converter is functioning properly, it should be around 2000rpm at 70mph. Of course this is assuming she has the automatic and the same rear axle ratio that I had. Also, the Ford 7.3 is notorious for having cam position sensor failures, but that should throw a code. Also, make sure to use oil specific for diesel engines when changing. I used thedieselstop.com discussion forum frequently and they were a big help, similar to this forum with lots of helpful information. Best of luck!

Old 10-29-2006, 11:19 AM
KenZ
Veteran

I also had a '99 F-350 dually with 7.3. If one of the hoses fail on the turbo tubes, the truck will stumble and have a severe loss of power. Check the hoses length wise as there is a seam in them and one of mine (the one attatched to the turbo) developed a seperation along this seam. I had aluminum tubes which is a early '99 model. I also had a cam position senser go out, as this is a common problem. When it goes bad, the motor will stumble just like the old gas motors would do when the fuel filter would plug up. Start, then stall, cough, spit, no power, etc. This senser kind of works like a distributer on a gas engine, controlling the injectors. When it fails, the engine stops and will not run again until replaced. They would occasionally have a injector fail and this can cause the same type of problems. All in all, the 7.3 is a good workhorse motor just more complicated in its design than I would have liked.

Quick Reply: Need Ford Help Really Bad **UPDATE**