Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Need Ford Help Really Bad **UPDATE**

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 01:08 AM
Big_N_Bad
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Ford Help Really Bad **UPDATE**

Hey,
I know this isnt a place for ford questions but my sister is in a big pickle. She has the olympic horse shows coming up soon and she has to travel. Well her truck is an f-250 7.3L desiel. Her trucks sysmptons are Extrmely loud like motor not exhaust. Poor milage like 10 maybe 11 HIGHWAY, and underpowered. all this has been compared to my dads desiel which has the exact same motor. Need help and all advice is appreciative. Thanks. I dont know hardly anything about a desiel. Thats why I am here. Do you think something is the matter with the turbo, how about torque converter. We were sitting in my dads truck and you could hear her truck behind us over my dads truck. Thanks once again

BNB

Old 07-25-2006, 03:51 AM
Ralph78
Professional
Default RE: Need Ford Help Really Bad

I am certanlly not an expert, but the first things I would suggest would be to change the Fuel Filter and the Air Filter. Use a good filter brand, NOT A FRAM for Oil or Fuel.

Is the "Check Engine Light" on?

Ralph

Old 07-25-2006, 11:39 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just as ralph said, get that fuel filter changed and toss in 32oz power service into the fuel tank and run the snot out of it. she probably has alot of carbon buildup on the injectors and needs to got the cylinder pressure up to burn it off.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:03 PM
cumminalong

Another few things to check is the turbo outlet tube into the intercooler, the outlet into the intake and also the exhaust manifold to the turbo.

One of the problems in the Fords is th couplers on the tubes coming loose. Basically you get a POP..........Hiss, then no power and crap mileage.

If the exhaust is loud, check it for leaks, especially at the joint from the manifold to the turbo.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Big_N_Bad
Professional

Thanks guys and mods for not deleating it.
No her check dingine light is not on, She just had her oil changed do you think they could have screwed something up. The loudness comes from the desiel itself not the exhaust. Thanks guys. Ill let ya know

BNB

Old 07-25-2006, 02:37 PM
Drew
Professional

as long as no one starts bashing, and everyone is civil and helpfull like we are, this thread will stay. even though it is a dodge site, we are all here to help no matter the maker.

back to the subject, where did she have the oil changed at??? if it is at one of these quicky places they might not have known to fill the oil filter, and that will kill a hot turbo QUICK. check the oil and make sure there enough since diesels do take quite a bit more oil than the gassers. 3 gallons as compared to the 5 quarts in your 360. oil filter holds a full quart and it takes a bit to fill that, dureing that time the turbo is being starved of oil and will scorch the bearings.

hot turbo: less than 10 min between shut down and start-up. on my truck I try and let EGT's get below 300F before I shut down. 2 min later my EGT gage is pushing 400F. 5 min, egt's have cooled to 250. 10 min is around 100F.

also, if there wasnt enough oil in the pan the bearings in the engine itself will fry and cause just about what your talking about.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:04 PM
Big_N_Bad
Professional

hey thanks

We did check it as per the dip stick and it read fine. Yea it was a quikey place. Ill try the fuel filter, and check all the pipes hopefully something will change it. Thanks

BNB

Old 07-25-2006, 06:14 PM
cumminalong

Fuel injectors, fule pump, in tank filter, fuel pressure at the injectors. Those would be the next items, higher up the food chain.

Might also want to pull intake and exhaust tubes on the turbo. Check for any wear on the edges of the blades, missing blades, anything loose, etc.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Drew
Professional

BNB. .. what year, I'm looking some stuff up on the 7.3 and I think there was an injector pump change somewhere.

the lack of oil might have thrown off the timeing so now it is late causeing the sluggish performance, low fuel mileage and loud engine.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:07 PM
Big_N_Bad
Professional

it is a 99 Thanks

BNB

Quick Reply: Need Ford Help Really Bad **UPDATE**