Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

ATS Intake manifold installed...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006 | 05:15 AM
steve05ram360
|
Hall Of Fame
Default RE: ATS Intake manifold installed...

Got it from www.dieselnutmotorsports.com Jason is a neighbor of mine so I saved on shipping... $300 bux. Jason's truck is tricked out with twin turbos, upgraded tranny, dual stacks. He drags his truck often and recently turned under 12.8 sec @ 107.?? mph.

Nope, I didnt change anything else so this mpg test will be with a stock airbox (AFE was off for the Vancouver trip... better mpg with the stock box)

Old 08-01-2006 | 10:06 PM
steve05ram360
|
Hall Of Fame

Update:

I still have a hard time with the right foot... so mileage this tank is not going to be good. I am going on a 300~400 mile trip this weekend and plan on using the cruise most of the time so I'll have some good data on Monday.

from a performance standpoint... it's a no brianer... this manifold rocks! lots of power right where I need/want it. it would be excellent for towing w/o a doubt.

one thing I have noticed however is that the EGT's are slower to drop below 350 deg f. than without. minor inconvience.

Old 08-07-2006 | 02:08 PM
steve05ram360
|
Hall Of Fame

New Update...

Sad to say, all my data on this is farked.... the "this manifold rocks" has turned to WTF??? I started getting more and more bumps in power and my mpg plumeted (sp?) so after a fillup (14 mpg) I put the edge on 3 to see how it ran and I almost got whiplash when I stomped on it. Beleiving my edge was not working properly, I set the edge on it's stock setting and headed down to Montery for the weekend. during the drive down the motor was sounding kinda pingy and was not sounding right. Sunday morning I yanked off the connectors to the edge basiclly eliminating the edge from the picture and the motor went back to sounding like it's old self. I filled it up in Salinas and had a 15.98 mpg, hand calculated (with the mix). Once I got home, I re-filled it and had a hand calculated 15.8 mpg (w/o mix, so whatever the mix turned to with 11 gal of diesel added is what I had). so it looks and sounds like it's back to normal w/o the edge installed.

So... is there a boost in mileage? Cant really say... the only tank I ran w/o the edge gave me 15.0 mpg, however that was with the AFE intake. I currently have the stock air box on there which always gave me 1.0 mpg better than the AFE. If you look at that, then the answer is no.

Is there a boost of low end torque with the ATS on there? YES w/o a doubt. And I recommend this manifold for it's performance gains. currently it feels like the edge is still on there set on #1. this is close to what the gains are claimed by edge.

The best thing I could tell you guys is that once the edge is fixed and re-installed, I can go back and compare to what I've been collecting all along... edge on #1 setting.

Old 08-07-2006 | 10:57 PM
oldVOR

Let us know what comes of the Edge when you send it back in for repairs.
I was considering the Edge and the Quadzilla as the boxes of choice but yours is the third Edge that I've heard went on the fritz in the last couple of weeks. Keep us up to date......all the reports thus far have been great!

Old 08-08-2006 | 01:43 PM
donnie
Professional

Im not planning to install any enhancement boxs on mine but was wondering the overall imperssion with the ATS.

Old 08-08-2006 | 01:54 PM
steve05ram360
|
Hall Of Fame

I give it 2 thumbs up! It does what it claims to do when compared to the dyno chart. I'm able to feel with the calibrated butt dyno a definate boost in the 1400~2500 rpm range. before my edge went wacky I was quite pleased... and still am even in a mostly stock setup. right now I have the stock airbox on, ats intake and 30" magnaflow with a missing kat.

Old 08-12-2006 | 07:50 PM
BlkRam69
Professional

Steve00,

After the install have you noticed any: quicker spool up, lower EGT's, increase / decrease in boost pressure?

Curious what the effects of the ATS have been on the above both pre and post Edge repair.

Old 08-13-2006 | 12:40 AM
steve05ram360
|
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: BlkRam69

Steve00,

After the install have you noticed any: quicker spool up, lower EGT's, increase / decrease in boost pressure?

Curious what the effects of the ATS have been on the above both pre and post Edge repair.
the 1st thing I noticed was I was able to pass without it downshifting. this was with the edge on #1. EGT's were slower to drop at idle from what I could tell, I dont tow so max egt's are hard for me to say. Boost, it's hard to say at this point, to me it looked like it was down about 2 psi on average... power was up though so it tells me the motor was working more effiecntly. that is of course at cruising speed on the hiway. that's the only way for me to really measure it. the hills are too far to make a quick run up them, I'd do it in a heartbeat if they were closer.

as for spoolup, seems about the same. the 2 biggest changes that affected spoolup were the AFE intake and the open exhaust. I was easily getting to 38~40 psi w/o much trouble. If i were to put a % gain on it, with 0% being no improvement... i'd say its spooling 40~50% faster with those 2 mods.

The edge is on it's way to get fixed, should arrive there on Monday and hopefully it'll be a fast turn-around. One of my neighbors (Dieselnutmotorsports.com) offered to use one of his used edges that he has for sale until I get mine back... I might have to take him up on it if it's going to be longer than the end of next week... I miss my edge...

Quick Reply: ATS Intake manifold installed...