Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

how much can heavy duty pull safely????

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 03:51 AM
XFordMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: how much can heavy duty pull safely????

There are drivers that shouldn't pull heavy loads & there are drivers that shouldn't be on the road running empty but any time the truck is loaded it requires a commanding respect for the different handling characteristics. My understanding is that the difference in GVWR between the 4X4's and 2X4's is mainly the increased height of the center of gravity but take a turn to fast with a camper in either one and they can be rolled. Same with brakes. The driver that expects to stop 23,000 lbs in the same distance that he stops when empty is going to eventually find himself in an ugly situation whether the trailer has brakes or not.

Bottom line: It's not all in the truck. No "driver" should load and haul more than he and the truck can safely handle.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:22 PM
sonny t

Thanks for all the input and opinions. The web site which is Dodge says my truck can safely tow 13500, and the fith wheel I purchased weighs 14170 totally maxed out and loaded down, I just ordered a set of Firestone Ride Rite Air bag helper springs just to be safe for the "extra 670 pounds that I will be over if I totally load the trailer to max gvw" Thanks agian guys and like I said that web site with the specs was most helpfull.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:17 AM
fasttommyv

Remember the only difference between the 2500 and the 3500 is that the 3500 has the overload springs in the rear end. Exactley same truck otherwise. Beef up the rear suspension and you will be completley safe towing over the 2500's "limits"

Old 01-31-2008, 01:30 AM
RAYLEAVINS

I HAVE A 36 FT FIFTH WHEEL I PULL IT WITH MY 2500 ITS 4X4 BUT IT STILL PULLS GREAT, CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF I CAN PUT 1 TON SPRINGS ON IT? WOULD LIKE TO INCREASE LOAD CAPACITY, TRAILER WEIGHS 16000 LOADED AND ITS A BEAST TO PULL. NO POWER PROBLEMS HAVE A 6 SPEED CUMMINS, BUT I FEEL UNEASY WITH SUSPENSION CAPABILITIES.>?< ANY HELP WITH THIS?

Old 01-31-2008, 02:47 AM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

its not my load but it SURE IS SWEEETT

Old 01-31-2008, 07:19 AM
BTCRUZ
Professional

I thought max GVW had to do with the max total weight of vehicle and towed load? That weight is derived to ensure the tow vehicle can, as mentioned, stop, turn, etc safely with the total weight.

The 4x4 has less tow capacity because the empty truck weighs more than a 2wd (the extra mechanicals on the truck to get 4x4 make it weigh more).

AM I right on that?

Old 01-31-2008, 08:08 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

You should be able to pull that 5th wheel and then some. Just make sure you have good quality E rated tires or better on the truck. If you have D rated tires,they won't last on a long highway trip. I put my truck and trailer on the CAT scale a few months ago and I was at 22k and had no gear an empty diesel tank and one horse on the trailer. I bet I've been almost 25k at times when fully loaded with 2 horses. My truck has the helper springs and an exhaust brake to handle the extra weight. I've got E rated tires on the truck and G rated tires on the trailer.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:49 PM
hayman

gvw is what the pickup can haul gvcw is what the truck and trailer can haul together . now for pulling the fith wheel it will pull it with no problem .i have a 24' stock trailer on a 1 ton i pull 26500 every day safley so i wouldnt worry at all about pulling that trailer with a 3/4 ton at all

Quick Reply: how much can heavy duty pull safely????