Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

My opinions on the best mpg setup...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 10:18 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default My opinions on the best mpg setup...

ok, this is what i've concluded so far... I try to get the best hp/tq boost while maintianing decent mpg #'s. if you want the best of both worlds, this is what I think would work great...

1) exhaust... a 2 or 3 chamber exhaust that flows well but does not reduce backpressure to 0 or next to 0. this will keep some low end torque available which will keep mpg up. delete the cat... can go either way. I think if you delete the cat, definately go with the chambered muffler. if you want to race it, straight thru is the way to go. If you want the straight thru muffler, then make sure you keep the cat. my exhaust setup lost me 1.0 mpg on average.

2) intake, go concervative here... get a good flowing intake kit that is shielded. check out which filter is being used. the afe pro-guard filter I have has a 6" inlet and it's huge. I loose about .75~1.0 mpg with it but it screams in the upper rpms. boost is there in an instant with an open exhaust. I frequently overboosted (alarmed only) at around 38~40 psi with the open intake & exhaust.

3) ATS Arc-Flo Intake manifold... no matter what your doing, this is a recommended piece. since adding this to my truck, the low end torque that was lost with the tires, intake & exhaust mods seems to have come back in a big way. simply put, this is a must have in my opinion. regardless of what your doing with your truck.

4) any programmer at this point set on it's mileage setting should be enough to boost mileage. my edge set on 1 90% of the time gets me about 1 mpg better.

so figure what you want from your truck, then read and ask questions... this is my opinion based on my obsessive tinkering of my truck.

btw...I may be replacing my 30" magnaflow with a chambered muffler (maybe a flowmaster 50 series) in the future.

hope this helps some of you...

Old 08-01-2006, 10:37 PM
usafr
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My opinions on the best mpg setup...

look into the aero turbine, i love mine.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:23 AM
oldVOR

USAFR,

How did the sound of the Aero 4040 compare to the stock exhaust sound?
I like the idea of their systems but don't want to get anything too loud and drive me and the little lady nutz.

Do you have the standard unit or the 4040XL with built in resonator?
Did you keep the cat in the system?

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2006, 01:36 AM
usafr
All Star

The sound over stock is a little louder, but not bad at all, it can't be heard over the radio. In fact, I dont even listen to the radio anymore just so I can hear the exhaust . I had a free flow before this, and didn't like the loud buzz. I got the 4040xl with resonator and 5" tip. It did give me back the low end that I lost with the freeflow. The tip sells for like $90 but if you look around on the site you can get the exhaust and tip as a kit for like $250 or so. And yes, I still have the cat, losing the cat will bring LOTS of noise.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:19 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: usafr

look into the aero turbine, i love mine.
what do you love about it?
when it was in your hands can you see straight thru it?
what did it do to your power across the entire rpm range?

Old 08-02-2006, 01:47 PM
usafr
All Star

woooo, someone sounds testy, lol. The sound is better than the old free flow, the bottom end that I lost with the freeflow was regained with the turbine, and my mielage has definately increased by 1-2 mpg, I haven't posted a definate on that part yet b/c I'm still trying to get a good figure,,, but it did increase. As far as across the enire range, I'd say it helps, but I would have to go back and forth with the stock to give an exact, remember, I was running a stock, then freeflow for a month, and then this one.

Old 08-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

steve, you can see straight through the aero 4040

Old 08-02-2006, 02:45 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

testy??? no no... "where's my coffee... pft pft... this ones a jasmin moca... and it's shaking, I want one thats not shaking... <tweek><tweek>" listen to fry in this clip... this is how i feel this morning... spread way to thin and w/o coffee...

Old 08-02-2006, 06:00 PM
usafr
All Star

[sm=alcoholic.gif]I know the feeling, since boot camp I don't sleep more than 4 hours a night anymore, and thats been like 3 yrs ago. I just got used to it after a while. Since my daughter was born 8wks ago,,,,, well, let's just say that I've learned to adapt and overcome.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Deleted User
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: My opinions on the best mpg setup...