Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

First oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006 | 03:19 PM
ga_noplugs
|
Default First oil change

Ok, I'have tried to find a previous thread but no luck.

When did you do your first oil change? At the recommended time or earlier. I couldn't find anything in the manual but I have read of gassers doing theirs at a 1000 or so. (This is the first new vehicle I've purchased in about 7 years so i'm rusty)

Took a road trip this past weekend and i'm so far getting about 15mpg on average in my first 700 miles. Not bad compared to my old Durango, it did about 18-19 if i stayed off the pedal.

Drew,
Mix is good, i have noticed my truck being a bit quieter now.

Gassers - When i say it now, it sounds like I'm cursing.

Old 08-09-2006 | 03:29 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Default RE: First oil change

Ah... here we go.

You should pretty much be able to go 15,000 between changes. Most people go 7,500 to 10,000, unless they use oil sampling.
Cummins doesn't recommend switching to synthetics until around 20,000 miles.
Of course, I can't vouch for a specific change intervail, or when I would switch to syn's, I don't own one... yet!

From what people say, your fuel mileage will increase as you put more miles on the motor.

Old 08-09-2006 | 03:46 PM
Drew
Professional

I did my first one at 5K. then the next at 10K, some do it sooner, some are 10K no matter what. but it is up to you. oul changes on diesels are a bit different. the oil doesnt break down like it can in gassers since the rev's arent as high, second, soot is generaly the deciding factor on changeing the oil only if you look at the oil and think it being black means it is bad. the oil can turn black in my truck in less than 20 miles. btu seeing as I'm runnig synthetics the addatives that are used are better at keeping the soot in suspension and in smaller particles than regular dyno juice.

generaly, after about 20K all the wearing in that is gunna be done on the engine is done and the change to synthetics can be made. I changed to amsoil at 32K and so far Ive noticed a near full MPG gain in mileage, and the only thing I changed were the fluids, engine, tranny, and axels. transfer fluid is still bright cherry red so I left it alone.

it is realy up to you when you want to change the oil, but just remember, it takes 3 gallons of oil, and make sure you fill the filter before screwing it back into place or you'll damage the turbo. for dino oil I used delo 1300, ran well and didnt have the rotella t horrendous odor[:'(] also check out Geno's Garage for all your filters. they are cheaper then going through cummins and MUCH cheaper than going to the dealership to get a Fleetguard standard re-print. I used the stratapore filter. it may be a few bucks more, but I feel it is worth it to use a filter that is better than stock. . .and by all means, DO NOT use fram filters, they are not designed to handle the oil pressures generated by this engine and will fall apart pushing filter media throughout the engine.

Old 08-09-2006 | 05:26 PM
Donut Gestapo

I just did my first oil change at 7,500 miles. That is what the manual considers heavy use. I guess that going 15,000 miles just seems a little long for me. But, this is my first diesel. Do what seems best for you. To me it is a little stange to buy oil in gallon containers, though.

Old 08-09-2006 | 09:46 PM
ga_noplugs
|

Thanks for the tips and the links. Its been extremely helpful.

r

Quick Reply: First oil change