Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

A new Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A new Dodge

right now the only auto is the 4 speed 48RE, the manual is the G56. there is a 6 spd auto slated to come out soon, but dont know when, the VGT turbo on the 07's would be the cats meow for these trucks since the design of the vains to controll boost is very simple in design, and cummins has been useing this same design on the M11, and N14's for many years and millions of miles and they still work great.

the only problem I would have would be the EGR and the way the catalyst system works. even though you dont need a cat on a diesel. . .friggin CARB[:@]

the Jacobs brake is only an exhaust brake that replaces part of the exhaust tube after the turbo, wonderful option on these trucks, however in 07, the turbo's VG vains will actualy incorporate enough parts to become an exhaust brake.

Just to give you a heads up on the engine, I'm not sure when, but soon, 07.5 or 08 the engine will be replaced with a larger displacement 6.7L version. everything about the engine is the same, but the stroke and bore is a bit larger. it is not a new engine, but one that Cummins has been useing for a long time in the AG market.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:57 AM
DocDave
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great advice, indeed. I will be visiting two "5 star" dealers this Saturday, after I wash my Ford for the last time. You know, I am excited about getting a new Cummins, as I have always wanted that engine. I need the reliability. You must understand me when I say that I will miss my Ford, though. Other than the engine letting me down a few times, I have really taken pride in that truck. Two inch suspension lift looks cool, Bank's exhaust, Ranch Hand Grill Guard, Custom wheels, K&N Air Intake system. . . etc. Not a dent in it, but my wife insists that I trade it. Normally, I would jump at that opportunity, but I've had some remorse about it. It's just that I've taken such care and put so much money into this Ford. I have always felt that the perfect truck would be the F-250 body, with a Cummins engine and an Allison tranny, but you can't have everything. I no longer trust the motor, now that it has been removed twice. I've also grown up since 2003. Never again will I waste my money on modifications. Makes no difference, and you constantly worry about voiding the warranty. I have come to believe that the engineers that are hired by Dodge, Ford and Chevy probably know more about what is best for the truck than I do.
That being said, I am excited to buy my Dodge. You guys are a big help, and I look forward to talking with you more. I have been very active on the Ford Forum, so I imagine I'll have to wish them farewell. I believe I will go for the current Cummins motor, because I will not be burned again by buying an '07, with a newly revised motor. You see, my '03 Ford is the very first year this 6.0 came out. I could have bought a 7.3 Powerstroke that day, and I should have, because that motor had been perfected for years already. They drive well today. With that in mind, I look forward to buying a 5.9 liter Cummins, that has been perfected for years as well. Will talk with y'all later, and thanks for your help.
David

Old 08-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Drew
Professional

you could always have the best of both worlds. . .there are many conversion kits to repower your ford with a cummins 5.9. I have seen many Ford trucks that have the cummins clatter and it made me look twice. Most tell me they dislike International HEUI engines but love Cummins, dislike Dodge trucks, but like the ford body better.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Drew

you could always have the best of both worlds. . .there are many conversion kits to repower your ford with a cummins 5.9. I have seen many Ford trucks that have the cummins clatter and it made me look twice. Most tell me they dislike International HEUI engines but love Cummins, dislike Dodge trucks, but like the ford body better.
LMAO ... Nothing like whacking a bee's nest !!

LOL !!

Old 08-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Drew
Professional

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

ORIGINAL: Drew

LMAO ... Nothing like whacking a bee's nest !!

LOL !!

it's all good fun untill you get stung. . .[8D]

Old 08-24-2006, 04:51 PM
cumminalong

I hear ya about the time, effort and care that you put into your truck. Believe me on that one.

After all the mods I did to my SD, it was a difficult decision to get rid of it. I had it built to the teeth: 6" Skyjacker, ARB's front and rear, 4.56's, 36" TSL's, on-board air, etc, etc, etc.

But the fact that many of the things I did to it initially (just to make it work properly), and the fact that it was burning 1.5 qts of oil every 1500 miles and the dealer tried playing the "mods void this and that crap", was no longer acceptable to me.

I missed my SD for a week or so, but after driving my new toy for a while now.....no worries at all.

You'll love it.

PS, I used to spend A LOT of time over on FTE. My old toy is easy to find.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Live44MX

DocDave,
Welcome to the club. I Love Fords but I Love Dodge CTDs more. I owned 2001 Ford 7.3 Turbo D. No problems. I wanted a CTD so I bought a 2003 Dodge CTD. Like it so much I bought another one a 2005 Dodge CTD. I used to tow a fifth wheel with a short bed. I would pull two trailers. The fifth wheel and a boat or enclosed trailer. I never had problems towing but I had a slider hitch. I am planning on getting another fifth wheel and will go with the slider hitch again. There is a company that has an automatic slider hitch if your worried about manualy working it. Reese makes slider hitch's at http://www.reese-hitches.com or DrawTite or http://www.pullrite.com for the 5th wheel hitch for short bed trucks that automatically adjusts without stopping or slowing down.

Hope this helps...

Old 09-13-2006, 11:41 PM
DocDave

Thanks guys. I have not installed my 5th wheel hitch yet. It is not a slider, but I am told that I will still have enough room to turn. After all, it should be the same distance from the cab as it was on my Ford, right?
Dave

Quick Reply: A new Dodge