Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New Mega Cab Owner Needes Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 01:53 AM
usafr
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Mega Cab Owner Needes Advice.

I second that. I have a 2006, quad cab, 4x4, 2500, CTD. I've added BDTD, K&N intake, Aero Turbine 4040xl with resonator. I also installed 2" leveling spacers on the front. I love driving my truck, its completely different than when I first got it. I keep the programmer set on the tow\econo setting (first one). If you go online and upgrade to the version (2.3.3 I think) with the lowend on it, this version on the first setting is all you need. If I put mine on the performance setting, I break the tires loose every time I take off.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:52 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you have already bought the BDTD
Okay, what is the BDTD? It's a chip/module right?

Old 09-13-2006, 03:11 AM
usafr
All Star

BDTD Bully Dog Tripple Dog its a programmer, has three power settings, including stock, and be connected to your PC to be upgraded.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:59 AM
htgriffith
Veteran

And don't forget, You can change the program going down the road [:@], The Crazy Larry program is bad to the bone ( 150 HP and 300 ft/tq). YA I"M going to add a intake and something with the exhaust soon< have anyone of you taken the muffler off and installed a pipe in its place< if so how did she do

Old 09-13-2006, 10:56 AM
BlkRam69
Professional

For the short time I had my CAT off I noticed 2 things. A drop in low end torque and............................................... ......That thing was LOUD!!!!!! [sm=insomnia.gif]

I mean loud. While idling up to a stop sounds just like normal. Put some peddle on it and this thing would rattle windows, set off car alarms, and imo wouldve woke the dead if I didnt put it back on.

I put it back on and replaced the muf with the Aero. Still sounds good and can get loud under hard throttle (with the windows down). The good part, inside the cab remains close to stock noise level. Thats a biggy on the long huals / trips.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:11 AM
htgriffith
Veteran

Ya I'm going to leave the CAT alone, I may try to remove the muffler only, have you tryed that and how did it do, Also how did replacing the stock muffler do,

Old 09-14-2006, 07:29 AM
htgriffith
Veteran

Ha BLKRAM69, Thanks for the advice, Did you see any change in your MPG using the performace setting Vs. the tow/eco. setting, I ran for 200 miles on one and went to the othier and could not see much if any,

Old 09-15-2006, 01:27 AM
BlkRam69
Professional

I did see a dif between the two. I went from 19 to 14-15. Now of course the main reason was becouse I was using that extra power!

I was (for a while) that guy you see racing to the next stop sign. Then I settled down and left it on the econo/tow setting. Then again that was also about the time Bully Dog came out with the new vs. with the low end power. That seems like it spools / fuels at much lower rpm's and gives you the boost off the line so I usually leave it on the stock setting most of the time and am perf. happy.

Noqw I do also run the QuadZilla econo chip in conjuction with the BDTD wich just adds an extra 65HP and advanced timing. Real quick off the line but spools up to 40+ boost. Not good. Which brings us back to where we started.

It all depends on how much you want to spend. I thought I was immune but now I find myself looking at...........

$1500-2K to upgrade the tranny to get more of the HP to the road, another 2-300 for a new set of cool blue intercooler turbo tubes to accomadate the additional boost, and then another 1500 or so to upgrade the turbo to keep up with / make the extra power.

Oh yeh, then somewhere in there is the ATS Arc flow intake with the tapped ports for water / methane injection.....

Wait, somebody stop me. Do you see what I mean [8D].

I say keep it simply or you just might catch the same bug so many of us already have.

Seriously though, the 48re (auto tranny) is the weekest link (goodbye in '07!) and wont hold up to the perf. / extreme settings for long. So I say keep it on the lower settings at least around town or it will soon burn through the clutch packs and start slipping.

Good luck!

Old 09-17-2006, 06:07 AM
htgriffith
Veteran

Thanks BLKRAM69 and everyone else for the 2 cents or a dollar, I've been reading the post's about the aero turbine, It sounds like a good muffler, I wont to try just taking the muffler off and a pipe in its place, Leaving the cat and everything else alone, Has anyone done this, If you can get extra HP and MPG which you got to have one for the other from less back psi, Seems this would be the way to go, Plus a whole lot less $, Who knows it may sound good...........

Old 05-01-2007, 09:28 PM
06ctd

Does removing the cat off my 06 ctd void my factory warrinty. Thanks for all the info.

Quick Reply: New Mega Cab Owner Needes Advice.