Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New Mega Cab Owner Needes Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 07:09 AM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Mega Cab Owner Needes Advice.

Hello everyone, I'm a new member and a new Dodge owener. I bought a 2500 Mega Cab, This is my first diesel truck and love the heck out of it. So far the only thing done to it beside's chorme is the addition of the Triple Dog / BullyDog programer. One word AWSOME. My milage went from 18.5 mpg (at 72 MPH) to 22.8 mpg (at 72 MPH). And the power and versatility is super. I have a million things I would like to know about the truck. So let me start. I have read and read about oil and filter's, some say this and some say that, so I will leave that alone. I would like to know if the air intakes (cold air) from K&N and otheir's is worth buying. After adding the programer black smoke blow's when I get on it, I thought it my need more air. Also what can I do for the exhaust. I'm not big on noise at all. I just wont my engine to breath and get more mpg/hp. Any trick's or tip's. Thank's

Old 08-27-2006, 12:15 PM
DocDave
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Mega Cab Owner Needes Advice.

I did all the same modifications that you are talking about to my 2003 Ford 6.0 liter diesel. I just bought a 2006 Dodge yesterday. Let me tell you from my experience. I would leave it alone. Don't add programmers, chips, Air Intake Systems or Exhaust Systems. I did all of that, and what did it really accomplish? Nothing. Money wasted. I have grown to believe that the engineers who are hired by Dodge and Ford may actually know more about what these trucks need than I do. Just my 2 cents worth.
David

Old 08-27-2006, 01:24 PM
donnie
Professional

Personally, I would stay away from the K&N for the diesel.
Iv heard that the filter is more of a hinderance than a help.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:43 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

If you added a chip/programmer, then adding a performance air filter is a must. The K&Ns, Brute Force, etc all work well. I had a K&N for many years. Not a single problem with it. You have to clean them, and they must be properly oiled.

NASCAR uses them........ I can't think of a better endorsement.lol.

Good luck.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I too am using the K&N with no reported problems.
I just cleaned and re-oiled it at the 100K mark a little while ago.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:22 AM
htgriffith
Veteran

Ya, I know they worked very well for me on my bikes and gas burnners, I will have to try it out on my diesel then, Have any of you changed the stock muffler out for a Magnaflow or other brand, Does it make a little more HP and MPG, Or does the stock muffler flow just as well?

Old 08-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Drew
Professional

make sure to read Doc's post, he is right, all these aftermarket parts realy lower fuel mileage, and can have your warranty voided.

For the price you pay for these programmers, the payoff for them does take alot of time if you exersize restraint in useing them and keeping on the lowest setting which does increase fuel mileage.

however on the other side of the coin, they sure are fun[8D]

but remember this. . .you have to pay to play, if something breaks, and the dealer sees your programmer, or the existance of the programmer your warranty will be tossed out the window and theres pretty much nothing you can do unless you have enough cash to prove the part failed for some other reason.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Drew

make sure to read Doc's post, he is right, all these aftermarket parts realy lower fuel mileage
Does that include the K&N air filter?

You don't think that putting one on is an improvement over the stock system?

Old 08-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Drew
Professional

the stock filter is pretty good for filtering, but gets clogged up pretty quick. in terms of improvement the only thing your getting is better air flow and thats about it. but when it comes to dealers, sometimes they will pop the filter out and look at it. depending on the dealership, they will void the warranty right then and there cause you have an aftermarket air filter. Heck, when I took my truck in to get the drip edge seal replaced the service writer commented on my SRT-10 gage mount and how he liked the look. . .and he said my filter was a bit small

Old 08-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Drew

he said my filter was a bit small

KRI-KEES !!!!!

[sm=jawdrop.gif]

Dude that filter is HUGE !!! What kind is that?

Wait ... isn't there supposed to be a battery in that spot?

Quick Reply: New Mega Cab Owner Needes Advice.