Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Aero Turbine (again)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 12:29 PM
troop
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aero Turbine (again)

All right I know we are kinda beating a dead horse here however, a question for the guys who have the areo turbine. I currently have the K&N Intake BDTD and the BD muffler since I put the muffler on I have lost 4mpg. Is the areo turbine going to help me regain the mpg. I already ordered it should be here in a couple of days I ordered the 4040xl. I hope so because if not I just wasted 200 beans.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: Aero Turbine (again)

I JUST had the aero installed last weekend so I haven't had the opportunity to do a gas mileage test yet, but the truck definately "feels" better. I'm running the Aero right off of the downpipe with no other resonators or cats. Just a downpipe, the Aero, and the tailpipe, that's it, and the truck not only feels good, but it sounds good as well. If you'd like to see the WHOLE story, I've got a thread going explaining the whole journey from start to finish called " Exhaust Recomendations" ... check it out. Any questions feel free to ask.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:49 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm curious to see what you get after a 4 mpg loss... I lost about 1 mpg after the mag install, but the whole setup was a different animal (after the install), reved way easier and seemed to have more top end.

can you record your mileage between now & after the install?

Old 09-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Well, as far as my set up goes, I WAS getting about 14-15 mpg when running my old 245 tires through my stock exhaust. When I bumped up to 265 tires, my mileage dropped to around 13 mpg and the truck felt VERY labored. I'm still running the 265's but the truck now runs like a dream with the Aero exhaust. I'm hopeing for some better mileage, but I haven't done a test yet as I just installed the Aero last weekend. I should know this weekend when I fill er up again. I'll keep you posted.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:04 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I think your install added some backpressure which will bump your mileage. (mayfair)

Old 09-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ADDED backpressure ?? How so ?? Prior to the install I was running through a resonator and a stock muffler. NOW I'm running from the downpipe directly to the Aero ( which is hollow BTW ... I didn't know that ) and finally out of the tail. If anything it seems like pressure has been lifted, not added.

Bumped mpg meaning better or worse ??

Old 09-06-2006, 02:45 PM
troop
Rookie

Well I can say right know I am averaging about 14.2mpg towing nothing. I was around 17.5 to 18. Towing the boat I was getting about 14.5 before the mods now same long trip this weekend I got a solid 11.2. My father has an 05 dually towing a 32 foot 5th wheel got 12.5 he has the same set up the only difference is I have the BD muffler and he has the stock one. I am ancious to see. If it does nothing I will have a BD muffler and a Aero Turbine for sale.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:56 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

ADDED backpressure ?? How so ?? Prior to the install I was running through a resonator and a stock muffler. NOW I'm running from the downpipe directly to the Aero ( which is hollow BTW ... I didn't know that ) and finally out of the tail. If anything it seems like pressure has been lifted, not added.

Bumped mpg meaning better or worse ??
backpressure...maybe not, time will tell. I thought your muffler was gone? maybe that was someone else.

I can say this on my truck when I took out the cat & put in a 30" mag in it's place (muffler location) I lost some backpressure and fuel economy (approx 1.0 mpg). this is pretty much what happend when I modded the 2000 I had. lost backpressure by opening up the exhaust too much and mileage dropped. closed the exhaust back up some making the motor work a little harder (low end torque came back) and mileage went back up.

in reguards to the inside of an aeroturbine, IIRC, there is some baffling on the inside which would create turbulance in the exhaust stream as it exits the muffler. that turbulance is what i'd expect to add just a tad bit of pressure. I could be wrong and probably am but thats what I think.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

[ I had. lost backpressure by opening up the exhaust too much and mileage dropped.
This is why I'm kinda glad that things worked out the way they did.

I was originally going to open up my exhaust to 4", but after hearing some of the back pressure problems that you guy's were having I decided to stick with the stock 3.5" and just open the muffler up a bit. I think it did the trick .... we'll see. I KNOW it's running a helluva lot better !!

Old 09-07-2006, 12:19 AM
mjh1019

Does anyone know if the Aero or any exhaust would bump up mpg on 06 ctd. I am currently running a Banks monster 4" and getting about 17.5 in the city and 21 mpg headed to Gulf Shores. Burnt less than a half a tank from Lafayette La to Gulf shores. I was running about 75-78 mph.

Quick Reply: Aero Turbine (again)