Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

is there a trick to start my 06 cummins?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 04:05 PM
chadg2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there a trick to start my 06 cummins?

Hi just bought a new 06 ram club cab with 5.9L cummins/6 speed manual. Love the truck and engine and shift, but it's a trick to start fast sometimes. I mean I wait to crank till the engine light starts to flash and it seems to start faster. But sometimes it cranks for like 10 seconds before she fires. Runs perfect after the start, but is there a trick to get her to fire right away everytime? When it get's colder I know I have to wait for the intake heater, but so far it's above 60 degrees when I've started it and no wait to start light has come on. Thanks for your help. Chad

Old 09-11-2006, 04:33 PM
MTRam
Default RE: is there a trick to start my 06 cummins?

I am finding the same symptoms. I have seen the wait to start light when it gets below 50, but there appears to be no rhyme or reason to the starting delay. First time diesel owner -- am I missing something?

Old 09-11-2006, 07:18 PM
dodgedlr
Veteran

Just symptomatic of the newer common-rail diesel.
I haven't seen one yet, that fires up as fast as the pre-common-rail systems.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Brent13
Rookie

I just bought my first diesel on Friday, brand-new 2006 QC 4x4. I have yet to experience any dely in starting; it fires right up as if a gasoline engine. This morning was the first time I had to wait to crank as the "wait to start" symbol was illuminated. Temp was in the mid-50's. Went off after about 3-5 seconds and then I fired it up. No extended cranking...... Love this truck!!!!

Old 09-11-2006, 09:18 PM
chadg2

makes me mad, cuz my wife can fire this truck up better than I can. She says "I don't have any problems with it starting!" and she would complain if it took 10 seconds for it to start for her. She waits for the engine light to flash 2 times and it starts for her everytime. Me I can't count to 2!

Old 09-11-2006, 11:30 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

It's hit or miss. Mine will crank within two revolutions most times, and sometimes not. What I do is only let it crank for a few revs, if it doesn't hit I let off for a second or two and hit it again. 98 % of the time it will fire up then. If not repeat, it always hits on number three. I won't crank for 10 seconds straight, not even for 5 seconds straight. My system works for me, and is less stress on the starter.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:14 AM
chadg2

do you wait in the run position any amount of time before hittin' the start, or do you crank as soon as you get the key in the ign?

Old 09-12-2006, 01:16 AM
usafr
All Star

Mine doesnt have a "wait to start" light, its a little coil symbol that will light up. It's only lit up like 2 or 3 times. Other than that, the engine cranks up right away.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:11 AM
imlucifersgod2

i've been having the same problem with mine. i have a friend that is good friends with the dodge rep for the dodge rodeo truck that says that this problem is only effecting the manuals including all three of their local manual trucks. the problem is caused by the crank sensor not reading movement. they have been using a new ecm flash for around 7 weeks now without any problems. he said that they will be testing it out for a little while longer and should be releasing the new flash to the dealerships to upgrade our trucks.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:16 AM
imlucifersgod2

oh and btw the coil light is for the glow plugs and pre heater but on the right side of the cluster there will be a red light that turns on when you turn the key to the on position. that is your wait to start light.

Quick Reply: is there a trick to start my 06 cummins?