Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

woohooo... UPS says my aero is out for delivery...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 07:31 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: woohooo... UPS says my aero is out for delivery...

nope, had to change plans at lunch because of a clients meeting. Slim chance it'll happen after work, greater chance it'll happen tomorrow.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:35 PM
usafr
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweeeeet, You got it, but doesn't waiting to install just suck??? I think mine sat in the kitchen by the table for like two days before I could get to it. Well, hope you like it, I love mine.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:59 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

yeah it sucks... !!! cant wait to get the install done. I'm going to call them right before leaving for the day to see if they can get it in.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

I'm thinking egt's at 65 on flat hiway (cruise control) before & after. I'm betting they will go up some from my current setup.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't EGT stand for Exhaust Gas Temperature? If it does, why would you think that the temperature would go UP? I would think the temp would go down with the way this muffler seems to pull the exhaust out.

I WOULD be interrested in seeing a before and after though.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the higher the back pressure the higher your EGT's will be. the lower the back pressure the lower the EGT's will be. . .to a point.

and yes you are right, it does stand for Exhaust Gas Temprature. and I work on equipment that is used to test the probes on aircraft. 1200F is quite hot when the probes are heated up.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I'm a little confused then as to why Steve thinks the EGT's will go UP.

The design of the Aero is supposed to drop your EGT's, not raise them.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since the inner tube necks down and causes turbulance the back pressure caused by that could make the EGT's go up. however with the way the aero turbine is designed it is actualy increaseing the velocity of the exhaust as it passes through.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:08 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

I'm a little confused then as to why Steve thinks the EGT's will go UP.

The design of the Aero is supposed to drop your EGT's, not raise them.
the aero install on a stock truck would make them go down... since I have essencially a straight pipe from the turbo back they are about as low as they'll go. now add in the aero and now there is the section that splits the exhaust inside the aero, now I would not ahve a true straight thru setup, only the center section (again I think 3~3.5") is 100% straight thru, the split area is not.

Also, sad to say, the install HAS to be put on hold... I've had my 2nd gear slip on me 2x pretty bad (pegged the rev limiter), the 2nd time being this morning. I had a chat with an expert and I've concluded that the VB has to be swapped out before the aero install. Which really sucks... I thought I was ok after the 1st event. If this had happend 2 days ago, I would have skipped the alarm and went for the VB, now its going to be tough to get it sorted out.

Reason for putting the install on hold... if the aero adds a bunch of low end torque, 2nd gear will slip with ease burning 2nd gear clutches (they're probably already burnt), this would be even more expensive (rebuild)... [sm=boohoo.gif] On the plus side of things... the tranny service is coming up so it'll kill 2 birds w/1 stone...

Old 09-28-2006, 12:20 AM
usafr
All Star

Steve, from what I gathered about the inner design about the aero, when the air splits the air going around cools and recombines withe the warmer air (or something like that, don't quote me), but you end up with sort of a vaccum at the end that pulls the air away faster than a straight pipe. Aero has pictures and a more detailed explanation that are waayyyy better than what I just gave.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:53 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

well, stopped by Jasons to get the VB thing going... should be here by late next week.

I saw somewhere a great explanation of how it worked but cant seem to find it again. when I talked to Aero, they mentioned that there were several guys who had the magnaflow behind their muffler and apparently it gave them good results. So I guess we'll see in about a week... muffler goes on right after the VB.

Quick Reply: woohooo... UPS says my aero is out for delivery...