Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Help! Stipped oil drain plug threads!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 11:10 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help! Stipped oil drain plug threads!

You can purchase oversized plugs at auto parts stores, that have self tapping threads. Been there done that on my '86 Ford. Check out any local atuo parts chain.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:11 PM
speakle
All Star

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

WOW

It is because of this incident that I decided to start learning how to work on my Ram myself.
Thats what I always say, I dont trust anyone with my stuff. I had an ex-gf's car snap a rod because the guys who changed the oil didnt put much back into the motor. My dads new suv had its first oil change at the dealer a few weeks ago and they put 2 quarts too much oil in it, yes 2 QUARTS. Then again they will fix it if they break it, so if you really dont know what you are doing its best not to.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:05 AM
zram2500

May or may not be a long term fix, never done it myself, but have talked to a few who swear by JB Weld. Is possible to use it or some kind of high end epoxy/glue to attach one of those valves from Geno's in place? Jusst a thought , since no one else had gone there. Best of luck.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Brazos

Thanks for everyone suggestions. My problem is finding a larger drain plug with self taping threads. My plug is 22mm. I have been searching the net and I have found plenty of smaller drain plugs that you can buy oversized with self tapping threads but not in the larger 22mm size. If anyone has any ideas on where to find this that would be great. I called my local Cummins branch but they did not have any. I was thinking someplace that worked on the big trucks would have something like that.

Brazos

Old 10-06-2006, 03:52 PM
cumminalong

This just came to mind, as I was installing a faucet outside my garage.....

Go to a plumbing store (Home Depot, whatever) and get a brass fitting that is close to your plug size. Thread it inside and out and use it like a sleeve, like in a engine cylinder.

Just a thought.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:37 AM
carcrz
Rookie

I realize this is from last week, but... go to O'reilly's. Over by the permatex stuff they have some stuff that repairs threads. It is a 2 part mixture. You brush one onto the bolt & the other onto the hole. The part that goes onto the bolt is a releasing agent so that you don't permanently glue your plug in there. I used this on a mower wheel lug nut & it's held up for 2 years now.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Brazos

Problem Solved. It was not the oild pan as my dealer had told me. The drain plug itself broke. So basically my dodge dealer did not even look at the problem and were trying to hose me for $880 + Tax to replace the oil pan. Though I am pissed at my dealer I am glad it was a quick cheap fix to buy a new drain plug. Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

Brazos

Old 10-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now it's a good time to invest in a 5 gallon drain pan, some filters and change the oil yourself.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Glad to hear that everything worked out for you Braz !!
Maybe you should go with one of those drain plugs from Geno's.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Brazos

Drew,
Actually I did chage the oil myself and have since the truck was new. Just thought I had royally screwed up this time.

Mayfair,
Yes, Before the next oil change I will be ordering the new type plug from Geno's.

Brazos

Quick Reply: Help! Stipped oil drain plug threads!