Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Should you still use fuel pump lube

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006 | 10:26 AM
kingdog
|
Professional
Default Should you still use fuel pump lube

Just wondering , I know in my 02 CTD with the VP 44 ( changed once already ) I was running Lucas Brand Lube through it with every tank after I bought the new VP44.
But should I or do I have to keep using it in our new 07 5.9?

Thaks
Ralph.

Old 10-20-2006 | 12:30 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Default RE: Should you still use fuel pump lube

My self i do and will keep doing so in my 06. The extra mpg pays for the cost of PS/MMO. I think you can get extra mpg with the Lucas so that should pay for it's self with extra mpg. Also it keeps all the fuel parts lubed, less chance of it breaking down do to lack of lube.

JMHO
Charles

Old 10-20-2006 | 01:12 PM
kingdog
|
Professional

YEA that is what I was thinkig, just wanting to be sure about it, I know in our VW TDI, it has made a HUGE differance, engine is quieter and smoother as well as it seems to get better MPG at around 50 MPG combined driving.
Although in our 02 CTD it did not seem to make the same changes as our VW but at least we knew it was in there.
Thanks
Ralph

Old 10-20-2006 | 01:19 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: kingdog

YEA that is what I was thinkig, just wanting to be sure about it, I know in our VW TDI, it has made a HUGE differance, engine is quieter and smoother as well as it seems to get better MPG at around 50 MPG combined driving.
Although in our 02 CTD it did not seem to make the same changes as our VW but at least we knew it was in there.
Thanks
Ralph
did you use the lucas in the TDI or the "mix". just curious. my wife was looking for a jetta before settling on a corolla. we had a brief look at the TDI but it was too expensive for what we were trying to do. what year TDI?

Old 10-20-2006 | 01:22 PM
Drew
Professional

the CP3 and the HPCR system was certified to run ULSD back in 03, so you dont necessarily have to use it. but the extra lube never hurts. and what charles said is right, useing an addative such as PS and MMO generaly pays for itself and then some in fuel saveings.

Old 10-20-2006 | 01:42 PM
Methos
Veteran

Been using Drew's Brew in my '06 since it had about 3000 miles on it. Took me that long to figure out what PS and MMO everyone talked about around here was

Rarely fill up without it anymore. Get just enough mpg boost to pay for itself. yeah, I don't gain any $$ from it, but it is good piece of mind that the extra lube is there.

Old 10-20-2006 | 01:44 PM
kingdog
|
Professional

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

ORIGINAL: kingdog

Thanks
Ralph
did you use the lucas in the TDI or the "mix". just curious. my wife was looking for a jetta before settling on a corolla. we had a brief look at the TDI but it was too expensive for what we were trying to do. what year TDI?
We have a 02 and an 04 TDI, the o2 is the 90hp and the 04 is the 100 hp and you can tell the differance in the power, it is huge.

We use the Lucas in both TDI's after we had to have the injector pump rebuilt in the 02, it has made such a differance in the way that they run. The best milage I ever got was on a long almost flat drive on cruise in the 02 at just under 74MPG, I still think I messed that calculation up, but that is what we worked it out to. Now the 02 will get over 600 mile each and every tank, and the 04 is a little more.

Yes Drew, I agree with the lube is good scenario for sure and will continue to use the lucas, as I buy it wholesale by the case and have about 3 cases left.

I am just trying to figure out which exhasut system would suit me better for the 2007, trying to stay leagal and all, Cat back or Turbo back in Duals. I wasn't even awre that these had catalatic converters on them.

Ralph

Old 10-20-2006 | 02:40 PM
Drew
Professional

Ralph, each state is different when it comes to emissions. in Georgia any vehicle that is power by electricity, propane, diesel or other alternative fuels are exempt from emissions testing. . .my kitty ran away the next day

Quick Reply: Should you still use fuel pump lube