Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission Cooler Hot Line?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 10:13 PM
altt225
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Cooler Hot Line?

New to the forum, been lurking for a week or so since purchasing my 2005 Ram 2500 Diesel.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me which transmission cooler line is the hot one coming out of the transmission. I am going to install a temp sender in the line and want to make sure I have the correct one.

- Anyone?

Old 10-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmission Cooler Hot Line?

to tell you the truith I dont know. . .you could always put it in the pan if your not up to what I'm about to say. . .
make sure to have a buddy handy as a look out
pull one of the lines off, start the truck, put it in neutral, if fluid starts pouring out of the line you pulled off you have the return line, if it starts pouring out of the fitting you pulled the line off of you have the supply line.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:50 AM
altt225

That's a messy proposition, but I may have to do that if no one else chimes in.

Thanks Drew!

Old 10-27-2006, 11:59 PM
Irish4u1978
Professional

To find it on my 05 when I wanted to flush the transmission, I just touched the lines afer driving. The line going into the cooler is hot, and the one coming out is just warm. Then just follow it up to the transmission, mark it with something, and when its cooled off you can install your probe. Kevin

Old 10-28-2006, 01:25 AM
BlkRam69
Professional

Touchy feely would be my suggestion too as I couldnt tell ya specifics.

But since were talkin about it I saw in a thread somewhere about an OEM replacement "hot line" that went for about $65 with the NPT port.

I was lookin at tranny temp probes when I came across it. Many suggest to install the probe here (or replace with the OEM) as this will give you the best, quickest, and most reliable temp.

Wouldnt you know I lost the link and have been searching ever since.........listed the part # and everything.

Called dodge and they were stupified. Really burns my biscuits!!

Anyone know (or even heard / seen) the part #??

Old 10-28-2006, 02:51 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: BlkRam69

Touchy feely would be my suggestion too as I couldnt tell ya specifics.

But since were talkin about it I saw in a thread somewhere about an OEM replacement "hot line" that went for about $65 with the NPT port.

I was lookin at tranny temp probes when I came across it. Many suggest to install the probe here (or replace with the OEM) as this will give you the best, quickest, and most reliable temp.

Wouldnt you know I lost the link and have been searching ever since.........listed the part # and everything.

Called dodge and they were stupified. Really burns my biscuits!!

Anyone know (or even heard / seen) the part #??
I think this is replacement trans line you are looking for, so use this URL: http://dieselmanor.com/dm_products/DM-CLG3.asp

Old 10-28-2006, 02:54 PM
BlkRam69
Professional

Bitc%in!!!

Thats it.

Been looking for about a month!

Thanks again

Old 10-28-2006, 03:42 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

As mayfair would say another problem solved here on DF [sm=happy046.gif][sm=happybounce.gif] [sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 10-28-2006, 10:08 PM
altt225

Thanks for your help guys! I just completed the installation of the Banks 6 Gun tuner and a full compliment of gauges. Now it is time to see how the Dodge performs to the old Ford I had . . .

As for the transmission line, I followed the touch and find suggestion. The one we are looking for is the line coming from the driver's side front of the transmission, just above the transmission pan. I removed the line and fitting from the water to oil cooler and installed a tee fitting which I modified slightly to accept the temp sender. I was able to find a fitting at work (I work for a Parker Hydraulics distributor, how convenient) that would screw into the cooler and accept the flare fitting from the transmission line. If anyone is interested in purchasing a fitting, let me know and we'll work something out.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler Hot Line?