Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Question about ULSD & Bio

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006 | 01:50 PM
jakebrake
Champion
Default RE: Question about ULSD & Bio

Ran the math again, it is 1.8 gallons. My bad

Old 10-30-2006 | 04:00 PM
mbaz

I think the point with BioDiesel is that it adds lubrication back to the fuel that is taken out with ULSD, it does the job that the sulfur did. As far as I can tell it does a better job. Unfortunately it seems to eat up the some of the deposits left behind by diesel, in your fuel tank and lines. It's important that when starting to use BioDiesel consistantly you change your fuel filter out with this in mind. Clear out the crud. And if 5% of my fuel is grown somewhere around these parts, I say great, I wish it was more.

Old 10-30-2006 | 04:19 PM
jakebrake
Champion

I think I'll just stick with mmo, just because I have seen what bio diesel can do in some CAT big bores.

Old 10-30-2006 | 05:09 PM
ramtradxb
Professional

And yes, Bio-D will gel at a higher temp - but at 5% the diff is minimal. Using higher concentrations will mean it will gel at higher temps - so watch out in colder climates.

Old 10-30-2006 | 05:37 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

does anyone know how the PSD resutls are compared to using b-5? (meaning how well it keeps the crap from building up in the tank).

Old 10-30-2006 | 06:46 PM
DBLR
|
Record Breaker

Steve,

Now that is another good Question. Who has the asnwer???

Old 10-31-2006 | 12:16 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

The bio just cleans out the crud that is already in your tank. It does not create crud or cause it to accumilate in your tank. The crud comes from an algea that grows in the petroleum diesel and has probably been in your tank for a long time. The bio just breaks it free and clogs your fuel filters until you get it all cleaned out.

The 24v ISB with the VP44 can run on up to 20% bio (B20) according to the Cummins web site. I personally think that it will run higher than B20, because it has better lubricating capabilities than petroleum diesel. Dodge probably says 5% as a CYA, since 5% is required in some states like MN.

The Bio will gel at a higher temperature than petroleum diesel. I think it is 43.5 degrees, adding petrleum diesel will cause the gel point to go DOWN, not UP. That is why they only mix it to 5,10 and 20%. The petro diesel helps keep it from gelling in cold temps.

Old 10-31-2006 | 02:29 PM
ramtradxb
Professional

Cummins states that B5 blends are approved for use in their engines, but again, failures due to any additive including Bio are not warrantied. They also state that they BELIEVE blends above that are "possible and appropriate" - but they come short of saying that they have found them to be suitable for use. Their primary concern with Bio seems to be due to the lack of standards, and stability, in production of the fuel.
Remember, since the base of diesel is petroleum, ADDING Bio causes the gel point to become higher. In other words, higher number fuel, such as B10, has a higher temp at which it gels (versus B5).
Most over the road trucking organizations are leery of Bio-diesel, as minor reductions in longevity of their engines due to fuel issues can have a negative financial impact.

Old 11-01-2006 | 12:27 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I just fininshed running my first tank of ULSD. I got the best single tank mileage I have ever got ( 19.5MPG with no additives ). Hand calculated as always. Today I filled up with B20. I used to run B20 often in my Ford, and the fuel system was about the only thing I didn't have trouble with. Bio does cloud at a higher temp then diesel does. As long as you buy it commercially ( ie made to a standard ) it is fine otherwise. The big problem with bio and the auto makers is the fact that a lot of people make their own. The process must be controlled very closely to get consistantly good end product, and well the average back yard brewer probably doesn't have the process cotrols that a refinery does.

Bio does add lubricity (info from a chemical engineer at a refinery) and a 2% ratio would replace the lubricity lost to sulfer removal. However the additive the refinery uses is measured in parts per million (very small amounts), so it is more economical to use their additive. Thier additive also addresses static electricity issues (during fuel transfer) that are regulated by the Fed. bio does not address these issues. Bio was considered to be the additive used when the ULSD was first mandated, but economics and static caused them to go the other way.

Quick Reply: Question about ULSD & Bio