Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Question about ULSD & Bio

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006 | 08:01 PM
DBLR
|
Record Breaker
Default Question about ULSD & Bio

I heard from a guy in MI who had his dealer tell him that the reason his fuel filter plugged up on his truck was that ULSD will cause Bio diesel to gel at a higher temp then plain LSD or ULSD will. The reason I ask is I want to know if this is true before I ever use the stuff. Also I had heard of some problems in MN last year with Bio and they pulled all of it off the market for a while.

Old 10-28-2006 | 09:14 PM
BlkRam69
Professional
Default RE: Question about ULSD & Bio

I too would be interested if anyone has info on this as there are 2 stops that offer bio on what has turned out to be a regular (two or three times a month) 400 mile turnaround trip for me and have been itchin to try it out.

As for the ULSD,........ I guess the verdicvt is in on my truck.

After about 4 tanks I've noted a loss of about 2 mpg on the highway and anywhere between 3-4 mpg loss overall average depending on how I drive. [:@]

The highway still looks fairly good but I think the city driving is just burning through this ULSD.

Stats for the last trip (850 miles) were:

Highway was around 17.9 (vs 19.8 +/-) and average was 14.1 (vs. 17.4 +/-) [:'(]

Since I was the new dodge in town and a few of the locals wanted to play a little so I kinda leaned on it a bit.

Old 10-28-2006 | 11:49 PM
jakebrake
Champion

If bio diesel was good, the engine manufactures would warrenty the engine running it. No engine is covered under warranty if and bio diesel is found.

Old 10-29-2006 | 07:08 PM
DBLR
|
Record Breaker

Don't know about other years but my 06 can use 5% bio as per owners manual! This is why i asked this question as I can use it and live where it does get cold like -30 below zero now and then.

Old 10-29-2006 | 09:48 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

yeah the '05 says it also in the manual.

as for the loss on ULSD... welcome to my world buwaaaaa [sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 10-30-2006 | 09:10 AM
ramtradxb
Professional

I don't have my manual in front of me - does it actually say 5% is covered, or is it just acceptable to use? I remember reading something awhile back in some literature regarding this, and it seemed to me it was worded in a way such that you could use it, but they still wouldn't warranty problems if they determined the problem stemmed from Bio-diesel. But I might be confusing what they said about the ISB versus the ISC, ISL, ISX and so on - the ISB could be specifically designed to run on 5% while the others are not...

Old 10-30-2006 | 09:27 AM
ramtradxb
Professional

O.K. - did some reading of Cummins literature, and they say that although their engines are designed to run on the B5 biodiesel, any failure found to be due to biodiesel or any other additive would not be a warrantied failure. (they say ultimately the customer is responsible for ensuring the quality of the fuel they put in their engine)
Still can't find Dodge manual - so although the engine is mfr'd by Cummins, ultimately it is C-D that does the warranty if it's in a Dodge - and therefore their guidelines and determinations could be different than Cummins. (for those of you who haven't tried, try taking your Dodge CTD to a Cummins Repair facility for ANY warranty and see what happens...all those I talk to are adamant that they won't touch a CTD in a Dodge as a warranty)

Old 10-30-2006 | 01:21 PM
DBLR
|
Record Breaker

It was possible I misread the 2006 owners manual (OM for short) so I went out and got it, it has this to say. I Quote "A maximum blend of 5% Biodiesel my be used in your Cummins Diesel equipped Dodge Ram Truck." There is nothing else listed saying that they will not cover it under warranty but I bet they can say tuff **** if they want to do such. Got to love these books they give us to read.

I have not checked this out yet but I was told that in MN they require diesel to be a 5% blend of Bio. Anyway back to the main question will ULSD cause bio to gel at a higher temperature? Anyone know or have a place to look for the answer????

Old 10-30-2006 | 01:24 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Only 5%, so you can only run 1 gallon in a 36 gallon tank and your saving how much per fill up? Maybe I'm not seeing the light on bio diesel.

Old 10-30-2006 | 01:40 PM
DBLR
|
Record Breaker

No it comes out to 1.8 gallons bio, that is if I did my math correctly. As for seeing the light I'll let you know if and when i see it! Oh you mean with Bio I'm told it will save something but I forgot what it was. Oh yes the farmer that is who it is said to save, silly me and I live all around corn & soy in the great state of IA.

Quick Reply: Question about ULSD & Bio