Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Clearance Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Clearance Lights

ORIGINAL: Hiloram

I live in a place that rains alot and that is what is stopping me from getting them.
Don't you live in Hawaii ??

You'll get no sympathy from me !!

LOL !!!

Old 11-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Hiloram
Professional

Yes I do and even the stainless steel rusts pretty fast

Old 11-05-2006, 12:33 AM
jakebrake
Champion

I live in western washington in a convegance zone, no rust yet and the truck is coming up on its 5th birthday. Mayfair, the wiring is probably the easiest part of the project even if it isn't in there. There is also the option to go to a wreking yard and get the harness

Old 11-08-2006, 01:55 PM
LoseranaCummins

Figured I could chime in on this since I just did this about a month ago.

First off, I got these https://www.dodgeparts.com/product_i...oducts_id/1052 for $72 from dodgeparts.com. After getting them and paying attention to other Dodges, they're the 94ish style. I like em cuz they're not as flat as the newer ones...so they stand out a little better I think. This is a true kit. Comes with lights, harness, and template.

I put the truck in the garage, to keep the hot sun off the black paint, and went to work. First, pull down the headliner. I took off the visors, overhead console, and the "4th-door posts" by the back of your head when seated...to allow the headliner to sag down more. All this was pretty easy. Just be patient with the overhead console and try not to break the plastic clips.

With the headliner down, I put small pieces of duct tape over the factory holes in the top. On the outside, I taped an old blanket basically over the windshield to keep shavings from getting anywhere but the roof.

Then my buddy and I lined up and centered the template, taped it down, and went for broke. Got out the ol' DeWalt and went to town. [:@] It was kinda painful, but worth it at the end.

With the 15 (ouch) holes drilled, I vacuumed up the shavings. Lookin good so far. The directions then had us put the lights together, put em up there, and run the wires. All easy stuff. The hardest part, and most time consuming for my dumb ***, was finding where to hook the "hot" wire. For the ground, I scraped off the paint by one of the holes for the visor screw, and put the wire there. For the hot, the diagram on the directions kinda sucks, but helps if you know where to look. I ran the wire down the A pillar on the drivers side and into the dash behind the fuse box...where it needs to get hooked. There's a green (?) plastic thing in there with about 20 slots. Match the hole to the diagram on the directions and stick her in. Easy as pie...supposedly...haha.

Now it's time to put the lights on. My biggest worry was, and still is, water. So I very generously applied silicon around all the holes when I tightened the screws holding the lights down. When/if I ever need to replace a bulb, I'll have to reapply some silicon, no biggie.

I wiped all the sweat off the roof, put the headliner back up, and tested em out. Perfect! Only a few frustrating hours for a better lookin truck.

I don't know if someone want's to put this in a "sticky" or whatever, but I wanted to put "my way" out there to help others out.

If I remember when I get home, I'll put some before and after pics in my gallery.

Good luck!!

Old 11-08-2006, 03:25 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Thanks for the detailed description loser !!

I'm still scared ....

Quick Reply: Clearance Lights