Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Flashing Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 02:12 AM
RobertDunn
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flashing Lights

I prefer the look of a dedicated strobe over that of a flashing headlight.

plus, depending on the type of headlight, it may/may not be 'suitable' for wig-wag. but a strobe would be suitable.

you can instal a switch pretty much anywhere you want.

also, there was a problem in Minneapolis (Minneapolis PD) linked to a wig-wag pattern set up on a Ford Ecoline van that allowed it to be shifted from park into revese without the brake pedal being depressed...in this case the officer had his foot on the gas... caused some bad injuries at a parade. fault was linked to the wig-wag system improperly engaging the reverse lights as part of the pattern. a strobe setup would not utilize any of the exsisting lighting and therefore not have a remote chance of that happening.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:23 PM
jengel
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flashing Lights

On Ford vehicles, the brake lights need to be on before the tranny will shift from park. I had a brake light kill switch on my patrol car for sneaking around in the country. It also worked as an anti-theft switch. Don't know if Dodge has the same thing. Galls.com has a neat module known as the flashback module http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...FS054&cat=2707 . It alternates the brake and reverse lights. Check them out some time.

Overall, as a warning light, I also recommend the Whelen Slimlighter http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...DL133&cat=2703 . I think that this is the best warning power for the money. They may be $250, but they are well worth it. They consume hardly any power, no moving parts and no heat build up. I have them on the dash of my work vehicle now. You can get them in amber/amber if you want.

Quick Reply: Flashing Lights