Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Flashing Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 08:13 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing Lights

Does anyone know where I can purchase a kit that will make my headlights and reverse lights flash. I am parked in the middle of the road on some of my jobs, manhole rehab, and the flashers on the truck just dont get people attention. It is amazing how people dont notice a 6'5' man wearing a saftey vest and a large red truck sitting in the middle of the road, lol, but then again how do you hit a school bus. I am looking for the lights that some of the volounteer fireman have. Thanks in advanced.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:20 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Flashing Lights

You can buy a wagner ALTERNATING flasher at any auto parts store. There are also solid state flashers available.

No offense but I am pretty sure that in all 50 states, only emergency vehicles that run audible warnings (sirens) can have alternating headlights. I am in NY state. Just tossin it out there. Hate to see a fellow DFer in trouble....lol.

Good luck.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:11 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

What you need is the strobe lights that the road constuction guys have inside all their regular lights. Find one of those guys at lunch and ask them where to get them, or go to a dealer that does chasis cab truck builds and ask them.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:25 PM
jakebrake
Champion

All the programming is in the lights themselves now so all you need to do is run a couple of wires. We call the lights "wig wags". Just installed a set on our service truck.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:00 AM
RobertDunn
Professional

If I were you I would look into strobes instead of wig-waging my headlights...

any Police store that sells Wheeler should be able to straighten you out...

I know in Minnesota, you can get anything in Amber/White strobe/flashing combo without running legal risks.... Might also be advantagous to get a light stick (LED type) if that works for your vehicle.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:49 PM
TheWizard
Professional

may i also recommend one or more beacon lights mounted on your headache rack/ roof. they make them with magnetic mounts if you dont like stuff bolted to your roof. i am pretty sure amber is legal for non police/fire/emergency people but i dont know what else.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

red and blue are out of the question, amber is the only flasher that can be used when not in an emergency status.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:22 PM
GlenninTexas
Rookie

I'd advise against the strobe lights. I was a volunteer fireman and we stopped using them because they tend to hypnotize oncoming driver and make them more prone to hit you than without the lights.

Regards, Glenn

Old 11-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: GlenninTexas

I'd advise against the strobe lights. I was a volunteer fireman and we stopped using them because they tend to hypnotize oncoming driver and make them more prone to hit you
I could see how that could happen. Those lights are annoying as hell. I thought the purposewas to be seen, not to blind someone?

Old 11-03-2006, 01:20 AM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

I dont want anything bolt on, or magnetic. There is a whole bunch of road constuction going on on a highway near me and I drive the road everyday and there are about 5 trucks, supervisors because of there trucks, that have lights that flash "just like Ranger Walkers truck" (friend's way of stating it). There is an enourmous amount of law enforcement, because of amount of accidents, and they still have there lights flashing away while driving around. If i am going to get them then they are going to get them installed in the lights, i would rather get a ticket that get ran over. Do you have a diagram for the "wig wags", and robert why do you not recommend them. Is there a switch to turn them on a off, and what about the reverse lights.

Quick Reply: Flashing Lights