Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

helppppp

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 07:42 PM
crazykidjj87
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default helppppp

sorry...didnt mean to trick everyone. i dont need help with my truck yet. its getting dropped off tonight so i get to mess around untill i save up $2000 to get it registered. anyways i have to give a persusave speach in my communications class in college. i wanted to convince everyone to buy a cummins rather than a duramax or a power stroke. im sure ull all agree with me on the cummins idea. but i need to know certain facts on all 3 motors for my speach. it hasta be 5-8 minutes long and im allowed to have an outline with key points. so thats basically what im looking for. key points good or bad on each motor.

thanks guys ill really owe everyone for this

p.s. im not asking for anyone to write my speach for me. im just asking for a couple key points from everyone. the more input the better

Old 11-16-2006, 08:01 PM
mbaz
Default RE: helppppp

straight 6, less moving parts, therefore longer lasting motor.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:05 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: crazykidjj87

im not asking for anyone to write my speach for me. im just asking for a couple key points from everyone. the more input the better
Here are all of the "Key Points" that I know of ...

Old 11-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fords International Navistar 6.0L, was a dud from conception, not enough R&D and was moved to the market too quick with an injection system more complex than an AMD 64bit processor, aluminum heads and diesels just dont mix.

Chevy's Isuzu 6.6L, is a good engine but is having way too much being asked of it. once again, aluminum heads and diesels dont mix.

DC Cummins 5.9L ISBe, The only diesel engine being used out of the Big Three American auto manufacturers (even though DC is HQ'd out of Germany) that was developed back when Cummins Inc. was founded by Clessie Cummins. The true overall archetechure of the engine realy hasnt changed much since the first 6BT was shoe horned under the hood of an '88 D50.

Ford has gone through about 3-4 different engine configs since they started putting diesels in trucks, 6.9L, 7.3 IDI to DI, and now the 6.0. Chevy has used 5 that I am aware of, the horrid 350 diesel that was a 350 gasser with diesel heads, the 6.2L NA, 6.5L NA, 6.5L T boat anchor, and now the Isuzu 6.6L. Chrysler's use of Cummins exclusively for going on now for nearly 17 years has made it the longest use of a single engine design in light duty trucks. Now even though the inside of the engine has gone through some remodeling, the overall design of the engine has not changed much since the first one was set between the frame rails of that D50.

Here's a little story about the first diesel for Dodge. When Chrysler went to Cummins and gave them a truck to put the diesel in, Cummins had to box the frame, install stiffer springs, and add more cross members just to keep the engine from tearing the frame apart. when Chrysler go the truck back for their own testing the truck no longer looked like the D50, instead more like a botched attempt to re-assemble the truck around the engine. Now after Cummins got a stiff enough frame to mount the engine, the testing Cummins did was enough to snap the rear drive shaft in half on more than one occasion just from the torque of the engine. they were still able to deliver the truck while running it in 4wd by it pulling from the front tires

Old 11-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Mayfair
Legend

[sm=hail.gif] Nice job Drew !! [sm=hail.gif]

Crazy ... give Drew his cookie !!

Old 11-17-2006, 12:53 AM
jakebrake
Champion

I actually haven't seen any problems with the vt365 (6.0) injectors. Main problem though are the variable vane turbos, rocker arms, and leaking head gaskets. But I have to agree that the High pressure oil system makes it quite a bit more difficult to trouble shoot.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:58 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also if you dont use the propper oil in the 6.0 it will froth and this is where injection issues start realy going wrong.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:23 PM
duneschick
Professional

Thats cool info!!! I already new- I drive one of the best trucks in the world- But thanks for clarifying it Drew.... It made me happy!

Let us know if you get an "A" or a "D". Good Luck!

Old 11-20-2006, 09:06 PM
crazykidjj87
Veteran

thanks drew and guys. drew you get ur cookie. haha. this speech is for my final exam so ill let you all know what i get when i give it. keep comming with the info. i need alot. thanks everyone

Old 11-21-2006, 12:36 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

The inline six engine is FAR more prevailent in heavy duty applications (big trucks) than the V8, this is because it is inherently better design for heavy duty use. Less moving parts, 30% less than a V8, which makes it simpler, and more effiecent. It is more refined because the design has been running for so long that Cummins has had the time to refine it as they go.

Quick Reply: helppppp