Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Why I love da diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 03:37 PM
MrSlug
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why I love da diesel

Some ramblings:

1) I love my diesel truck cause I can paint it yellow and pretend I drive a bus of the short yellow variety. (Only SWB apply here, if LWB paint it red get a super soaker and pretend you have a fire truck!)

2) I love funding my state with more taxes (which of course the state spends very wisely) than any other automotive fuel.

3) I love having a vehicle that can actually tow my mother-in-law, without straining too much. 5th wheel advised here.

4) I love being able to go up hill on a very cold morning and cause my own little smoke screen.

5) I love being challenged to race by every other noob in a gas truck so they can hopefully feel good about not spending an extra 6K for a motor/trans.

6) I love going up to Tahoe and trying to find a Gas Station that acutally has Diesel.

7) I love the fact that any engine part that is made for a diesel adds a couple more zeros in the price.

8) I love the sound of a stock diesel, who needs the sweet revy noise of a nice Hemi?

9) I love fuel that foams with a full tank.

10) I love forgetting to plug my truck in over night and being welcomed to the 15 minute warm up in cool weather (meaning no hot air for the heater).

11) I love forgetting to unplug my truck when I drive away in the morning.

I am sure there is more.

he he, I love my truck! Go Diesel! Go Diesel!

Old 11-27-2006, 04:07 PM
dtb86001
Professional
Default RE: Why I love da diesel

I love finding a place for the PSD and MMO bottels, extra fuel filter, bottle of red 911, in the cab since i havent put the tool box on yet.
I love explaining to my wife why a jake brake will help warm up the truck and why you need to activate the engin brake while you are just sitting there....

Old 11-27-2006, 05:11 PM
ramtradxb
Professional

O.K., I give up. Why do you need to activate an engine brake sitting there, and how does a jake brake help warm up the truck? (are you sure you don't have an exhaust brake instead?)
Edumacate me if you will...

Old 11-27-2006, 05:49 PM
dtb86001
Professional

The jake brake is the brand name of the exhaust brake i had installed it is the only one that both Dodge and Cummins will warrenty. in the morning after i start the truck activate the jake and the back pressuer will help it warm up faster. I also make sure it is in N instead of P to that the transmision pump will pump fluid through the cooler which will actualy help it to warm up as well. I ususaly only let it idle for a few minuets (2 or 3 )

Old 11-27-2006, 05:54 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

Hah! You had to explain it again! That should make your wife feel better

Old 11-28-2006, 04:42 AM
ramtradxb
Professional

I didn't think they put engine brakes on the CTDs (big diff between an engine and exhaust brake), but I now I know Jacobs was calling the exhaust brake a "Jake" brake also - so I learned something new! (and yes, engaging an exhaust brake will cause the engine to heat up quicker - if the install allows you to engage it while not in motion)

Old 11-28-2006, 04:46 AM
jakebrake
Champion

I wish they made an engine brake for the isb's.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:51 AM
ramtradxb
Professional

My latest MH has the Engine Brake on the ISL, while the other one had an exhaust on an ISC. Same approx weight - about 34K - until I pull the CTD and then it's over 40K...and the exhaust just didn't cut it on five percenters or more. Now I gotta use the low setting or I'll have everybody runnng up my **** going down a 5%...gotta love it!

Old 11-28-2006, 06:36 PM
dtb86001
Professional

I guess my earlier statement was a little confusing i called the jake brake an engin break when it truly is an exhaust break. my bad ive always messed that one up and i will probably do it again.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:41 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Jake brake is a brand name "Jacobs Brake" Maybe I will have to become friends with a machinist and draw up plans to make an engine brake.

Quick Reply: Why I love da diesel