Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

More questions from the Diesel Noob

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 08:18 PM
MrSlug
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More questions from the Diesel Noob

I was talking with my Pop and he was asking why I got a Diesel, yadda yadda. So I was trying to explaint to him some of the differences between gas and diesel engines when he asked, "Well how does the engine shut down when you turn the key off?" I was like, uhh not sure. When you turn the ign off on a diesel, does it just cut the fuel? Or keep the Exhaust Valves open so no more combustion? Duhhh I feel dumb here, LOL. I know if can't be cutting the spark since........ ..........

Ok, next question(s). I asked this before and I will be damned if I can find the answer. Yes I am a computer nerd but I am not a ninja when it comes to forums. Before I go getting an aftermarket tuner I want to monitor the Engines boost and EGT for learning purposes. So here are some quick questions:

1) Any suggestions on decent, white face gauges that come with wiring for Turbo Boost and EGT would be appreciated.

2) What is the best location for an EGT probe?

3) Is it possible that the EGT probe will compatible with Edge product or Bully dog? Meaning, I would like to avoid mulitple EGT probe taps into the exhaust. It would be cool if a single probe can be used for both .

Thanks as always, and Mayfair stop laughing at me.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:06 PM
jakebrake
Champion
Default RE: More questions from the Diesel Noob

There are several ways that a diesel engine shuts down. If you have the common rail, power stroke, or duramax, the injectors are controled electronically by the computer. When you turn the ignition off, (main power to the computer) so the computer won't send a signal to fire the injectors. If you have a mechanical engine, they use either a fuel shutoff solenoid or a cable that you pull. Turning off the ignition deactivates the solenoid, moving a plunger which won't allow the injector pump to build pressure to fire the nozzles. Pulling the cable on cable setups will do basically the same thing.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:22 PM
donnie
Professional

For decent gauges, I went with the Isspro Pyro and boost.
Pyro mounted PRE turbo for the best measurement of gasses.
Best locatiion is towards the rear of the engine. That is the hottest .
They are the colsest to stock I have seen.
Im not sure about using one probe for both.
Hope this helps.
Maybe Drew will weighin and give you more imnfo.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jake is right on the shut-off. Diesel engines need three things to stay running; Fuel, air, and heat/compression. the absence of fuel starves the engine of one of the things needed to keep the engine running, there are even adapters to block the intake to starve the engine of air. I have had to do this before on a run away diesel, cover the intake with a clipboard. there are times when you can kill the injectors, however if the turbo is blown and leaking oil the engine can get enough oil to stay running, this is called a run-away. the engine will rev to rpm's you thought were unobtainable then something will let loose weither it be the crank, a rod, or the head.

now, about gages, I like my WesTach dual egt/boost gage mounted in the SRT-10 grabhandle. check my gallery for picks. to acess the boost readings you just need to remove one of the bolts holding the intake down, for the EGT I drilled and tapped a hole just after #3. Donnie is right, #5&6 are the hottest cylinders, but it is hard to get to back there Shareing the probe between devices can be done, however you will get inaccurate readings.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:57 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Drew

you just need to remove one of the bolts holding the intake down

Hummmm. Those bolts look scary. Scary in the way that if I touch it, it will cost me about a grand due to the damage I cause......

I remember helping a friend install a boost gauge in a Subu WRX. It involved using a tubing "T" and splicing into the tubing for the turbo. I hope the Turbo boost guage I end up buying comes will REAL GOOD install instructions....

I know, I know, don't be scared.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Drew
Professional

the instructions I had were good and even told the torque values of the bolts when installing the boost bolt for the gage.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:27 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

you might want to post a pic of your setup... its not clear to me what you did... MrSlug may have a problem as well...

Old 12-07-2006, 12:56 AM
jakebrake
Champion

have had to do this before on a run away diesel, cover the intake with a clipboard. there are times when you can kill the injectors, however if the turbo is blown and leaking oil the engine can get enough oil to stay running, this is called a run-away. the engine will rev to rpm's you thought were unobtainable then something will let loose weither it be the crank, a rod, or the head.
Somebody must have had the fun with an old Detroit two stroke. It's even worse with them, if they get enough oil from a blown turbo, they will start sucking oil out of the oil pan from around the liner o-rings into the air boxes. Go ahead and try killing it with a clip board when it does that. Better just to run a way and let it grenade

Old 12-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Drew
Professional

ORIGINAL: jakebrake

have had to do this before on a run away diesel, cover the intake with a clipboard. there are times when you can kill the injectors, however if the turbo is blown and leaking oil the engine can get enough oil to stay running, this is called a run-away. the engine will rev to rpm's you thought were unobtainable then something will let loose weither it be the crank, a rod, or the head.
Somebody must have had the fun with an old Detroit two stroke. It's even worse with them, if they get enough oil from a blown turbo, they will start sucking oil out of the oil pan from around the liner o-rings into the air boxes. Go ahead and try killing it with a clip board when it does that. Better just to run a way and let it grenade
HA HA HA. . .jake gets a cookie. . .it was an DD 8v92 and it some how sucked a shop rag into the intake and blew the seals around the blower. thats when it ran away.

I'll try and snap some pics this weekend of the setup I use. it is straight forward and if you know how to use a ratchet you can install the boost gage. the EGT takes a few more tools.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:54 PM
MrSlug
Veteran

Thanks Drew. Will prob go for a combo gauge that has boost and egt. I like dem.

Quick Reply: More questions from the Diesel Noob