Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Warning - K&N Oil Filter - Metal Shavings

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 07:48 PM
rneal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning - K&N Oil Filter - Metal Shavings

Just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of an issue that I encountered with the K&Noil filters (Part# HP-4003). I recently purchased one of these fromthe corner auto parts store here in TN to put on my 97 Dodge CTD (Sweet Machine, I might add!) As I went to rub a thin coat of oil on the rubber seal I noticed some metal shavings on the threads of the filter. On closer inspection, I found that there was aconsiderable amount of shavingswhere the ports and threads had been machined into the filter. I took the filter back to a different store to swap out and found the same problem on all of their K&N filters, too.
I ended up buying a generic oil filter for this oil change and have emailed this to K&N. It seems that they may need to relook at how they are cleaning the filter housings before they ship them off from the factory. K&N has put out some great products, and I will continue to use them on all my Bikes, Cars, and Trucks. However, I can't believe that this slipped by theirQA folks.

Thanks,
RNeal

Old 12-16-2006, 11:41 PM
PRam
Professional
Default RE: Warning - K&N Oil Filter - Metal Shavings

That's good info, I have never used the k&n filter. I always get the Fleetguard filter (a Cummins product) that way if there is any issues I know I'm covered under warranty. I get mine locally in Knoxville but Geno's Garage online has them cheaper.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:02 AM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: Warning - K&N Oil Filter - Metal Shavings

Welcome aboard rneal and THANKS for a VERY good first post !!!

Quick Reply: Warning - K&N Oil Filter - Metal Shavings