Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

THAT's IT! I'VE HAD IT!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 11:01 AM
cumminalong
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THAT's IT! I'VE HAD IT!

ORIGINAL: jakebrake

did they just swing the engine (long block)??? or did they swap it with a running engine (with computer and eveything). Every manufacture has lemon trucks. I see the same trucks in the shop all the time. It
It was a running engine that was put in. It's the original PCM, but from the intake elbow to the turbo it was a complete block. Everything was plugged back into the original harness.

ORIGINAL: DocDave

Wow. It's like Deja-Vu. I feel like I'm back on my Ford 6.0 Powerstroke web site again. This is the exact topic of almost every post, while I owned my 2003 Powerstroke. Now I have a Dodge, visit your site every once in a while, and rarely if ever hear of any problems. My truck only has 1200 miles on it, but is amazing to drive. I take off 1000 miles toward the snowy mountains of Utah next week, and expect it to perform flawlessly. This is the only reason I bought the Cummins. My Powerstroke kept us stranded on the interstate for 5.5 hours last Summer waiting for a tow truck.
Dave
Dave,

That's exactly why I did not buy another SD. I was not about to drop money on an engine that has been plagued from the get go. I picked up my truck47 miles on it, at 89 miles it was already in the shop for a new torque converter, constant high freq vibrations at 1600 - 1800 RPM's, erratic shifts, CEL's, etc.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Local Yokel
Professional

Dave,

That's exactly why I did not buy another SD. I was not about to drop money on an engine that has been plagued from the get go. I picked up my truck47 miles on it, at 89 miles it was already in the shop for a new torque converter, constant high freq vibrations at 1600 - 1800 RPM's, erratic shifts, CEL's, etc.
Wow, that sounds like an out of balance thing. Maybe the harmonic balancer was bad/wrong and when they replaced the engine they used the same one? Im no mechanic but if you think of it if the crank is out of balance it would cause almost all those problems that you had from the torque converter, to the vibrations, to the cells being thrown ...

Old 12-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Barry KC

I have sinned - and so close to Christmas too!!!
Stupid keyboard spelled out the word "Cummings" instead of Cumminson my post last night. I know better and hope the diesel gods don't put something gross under the tree. Best of the Holiday to you all.

Old 12-24-2006, 03:41 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

wow, sorry to hear about the current issue... that really sucks! I did read in there somewhere that you babie it... maybe you need to beat the crap out of it like the rest of us (ok most of the rest of us).

Old 12-24-2006, 05:49 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

wow, sorry to hear about the current issue... that really sucks! I did read in there somewhere that you babie it... maybe you need to beat the crap out of it like the rest of us (ok most of the rest of us).
Hahaha! That's almost funny. I did that once, IT THREW A CODE. That was when I had to have the injector replaced.

I had to move some concrete barriers around and our front end loader couldn't budge them; the hydraulics were acting up. So I say okay, I'll jsut drag them outta the way with the truck. These thing weigh about 9K and had to be moved about 50 ft. So I break out the chains, hook up, commence to droppin' the hammer and dead drag these 9K barriers into place. Well, I move the second one and as soon as I take it outta drive the friggin CEL comes on and it's sputtering. Needs a new injector.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe I should beat on it a little more, but after that I was hesitant to even hook up my trailer.

Old 12-24-2006, 09:39 PM
rudy_t2004
Rookie

Im gonna have to agree with what alot of people on here are saying. I mean it is only understandable that there will be a dud/lemon. Seems as if your the hardworking man that seemed to have picked it. I certainly do send my apologies but burn that POS truck you have right now and give your business to the cummins once more and see if it doesn't change your views.

Rudy