Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

THAT's IT! I'VE HAD IT!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 04:52 PM
cumminalong
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THAT's IT! I'VE HAD IT!

So, as the title says....

Truck had to go in again, this morning. This makes 13 times in 5 1/2 months.

Start it up, CEL comes on, truck is lacking power on take off, bring it in.......Low fuel pressure.

No more, it's gone, I'm getting a new truck. Going looking today, see what I find.

Old 12-23-2006, 05:09 PM
reed
Veteran
Default RE: THAT's IT! I'VE HAD IT!

Thats a bummer, are you getting a new truck under the lemon law?

Old 12-23-2006, 05:20 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: reed

Thats a bummer, are you getting a new truck under the lemon law?
I'm putting together the Request to Repurchase right now, I'm not even bothering with replacement. I have more than enough now to be covered under the GA Lemon Law.

Even if that falls through, this thing is gone. I'll eat a loss, if I have to, this thing is too unreliable to be bothered with anymore. I don't want to add anything to it that I originally bought it for, i.e. a 5th wheel or GN, just to be stuck with a bunch of add-ons that I'll have to eat as well.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:29 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Sorry to hear it is giving you problmes once more. Sure hope your next truck will be one with a CTD.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:39 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: DBLR

Sorry to hear it is giving you problmes once more. Sure hope your next truck will be one with a CTD.
Brother, I tell ya what. If they do a replacement, then yeah fine, but if they decide to repurchase, I doubt it.

That's the one reason I bought this truck was the reliability of the Cummins. So far, it's done nothing but dissappoint me.

I'm already on the second engine, tranny, and t-case. CEL after CEL, is getting real old. I baby this thing more than any vehicle I've ever owned and it's given me nothing but problems. I could add up all the problems, from all my previous trucks, ATV's, motorocycles, and boats and I still wouldn't have as many problems as I've had on this one truck.

Hell, I think the dealship is gonna name a wing after me with all the time I spend there. I think I'm a land mark at the dealer....., "Just take a right after the pissed off Army guy over there. You'll see the service dept right in front of him."

Old 12-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Local Yokel
Professional

Hate to see it change your views on the CTD. Sounds like you just got a bum one, happens with every make and model and the chances of you getting two bad eggs in a row would have to be impossible. Unless of course you change brands then it opens up the possibility of you purchasing the other brands once in a lifetime lemon[&o]. Sorry to hear it gave you that much trouble, I understand about getting rid of it. Good luck on the next purchase ...

Old 12-23-2006, 10:26 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Local Yokel

Hate to see it change your views on the CTD. Sounds like you just got a bum one, happens with every make and model and the chances of you getting two bad eggs in a row would have to be impossible. Unless of course you change brands then it opens up the possibility of you purchasing the other brands once in a lifetime lemon[&o]. Sorry to hear it gave you that much trouble, I understand about getting rid of it. Good luck on the next purchase ...
If it was just one, that would be one thing. I'm on the second engine already, in less than 9K and it's bone stock. No mod's, no filters, no exhaust, chips, programmers or otherwise. This one has already had an injector, connectors, batt temp sensor, and now either the lift or injection pump.

I go out each morning expecting to find something leaking, broken, or blinking. I made them extend my bumper to bumper to 100K when the engine, tranny and t-case were replaced, but that doesn't do a whole lotta good when the truck is in the shop more than it's beng driven.

It really is dissapointing as otherwise I love the truck. It rides much nicer than my '04 SD did and has a much better fit and finish than my '02 Silverado. But, with a truck, the engine, tranny, and axles make or break it.

After the last time it was in, a grand total of about 500 miles ago, for the battery temp sensor and re-flash, the power went to crap. It used to pull your arms outta socket over 2K rpm, but after the flash it was just flat. Maybe it was the pump going south, but either way, I'm not going for a second ride on a sinking ship.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:12 AM
DocDave

Wow. It's like Deja-Vu. I feel like I'm back on my Ford 6.0 Powerstroke web site again. This is the exact topic of almost every post, while I owned my 2003 Powerstroke. Now I have a Dodge, visit your site every once in a while, and rarely if ever hear of any problems. My truck only has 1200 miles on it, but is amazing to drive. I take off 1000 miles toward the snowy mountains of Utah next week, and expect it to perform flawlessly. This is the only reason I bought the Cummins. My Powerstroke kept us stranded on the interstate for 5.5 hours last Summer waiting for a tow truck. During that 5.5 hour wait, my wife gave me permission to sell the beloved Ford. Now, I have a monster of a Dodge, and I expect reliability. This Summer, it will tow 12,000 lbs to South Padre Island (June,) Disney World (July,) and in August, we will pull the 5th wheel to Glacier National Park. I paid $40 K for strength and reliability, and I have high expectations. The issues discussed on this post worry me, and it is a total flashback to my Ford days.
Dave

Old 12-24-2006, 02:11 AM
jakebrake
Champion

did they just swing the engine (long block)??? or did they swap it with a running engine (with computer and eveything). Every manufacture has lemon trucks. I see the same trucks in the shop all the time. It

Old 12-24-2006, 03:25 AM
Barry KC

I can sympathize "cumminalong". It does not matter what the vehicle is or what it cost - some of us are just "blessed"! Many, many years ago I actually had money and bought a brand new 633 CSI bimmer coupe. Beautiful car. Within 3,000 miles the engine had to be rebuilt. The wrong pistons had been put in it!!! Then it had computer problems, and on it went. Never could drive at 85 and carry on a conversation. The noise was unreal. We won't even talk about what "service" costs!
I can tell you that my 05 Cummings has been one of the nicest vehicles I ever owned and I wish you success on your future purchase.