Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Removing Cat Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Loydt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Cat Converter?

Ok, I have a new 07 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4 Dually, 5.9, 6 Speed. I want to remove the stupid cat converter on there but have a few questions, first. Will it change the sound of my truck? I do not want it to be loud but I also want to sound like a diesel. This thing does not even smoke like a diesel at all??? It has a strange smell to it when running, kinda reminds me of the smell of a propane powered truck or something? Then again, it does only have 168 miles on it.

Also, there are no emmisions test for diesels here in NC

Old 12-24-2006, 12:00 PM
dieseldan07
Default RE: Removing Cat Converter?

there isn't an emmisions test in nc? thank the lord!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-24-2006, 01:25 PM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: dieseldan07

there isn't an emmisions test in nc? thank the lord!!!!!!!!!
NC does have emissions testing but, only in certain counties though. Luckily I'm not in one of them ;-)

Removing the cat won't make it any louder. That is as long as you still use the muffler. I just removed my cat the other day. There's no more sound ( in the cab anyway ) than there used to be.

What it will do is lower your EGT's by about 100 degrees. It will also take about 50lbs. of weight off the truck. BTW..... replacing the muffler will also help on the weight. That thing probably weighs 100 lbs. It's a bit restrictive too.

The smell is just a new motor burning effiently. You should smell biodiesel.... it's like french fries ;-) If you want smoke... you'll need more fuel and programmer or fuel box of some sort.

Old 12-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Loydt

How did you remove it? Did you do it yourself or have a muffler shop do it? It looks to be welded in place? I plan to buy a programmer as soon as I can find one thatI like. My Duramax used the Hypertech. I really liked it but they do not make one for my truck.

Old 12-24-2006, 03:37 PM
usafr
All Star

Good luck on the production of smoke,,, I removed the muffler and cat,, have a BD programmer and still get no smoke,,, I've pretty much given up on it. I have a crap load of power , but no smoke [:@]. Drew has the TST programmer and he says that he can produce smoke, I would love to sell my BD and try the TST,, ( gotta sell one first b4 I get the other one or the wife will kill me in my sleep )

Old 12-24-2006, 03:42 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

what cat? whats a cat? why would your truck have a cat in it... should be a dog.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:04 PM
usafr
All Star

Poor Steve,,,,,,,,, thats what drugs will do to u..

Old 12-24-2006, 04:12 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

lol, yeah or is it being zapped by my battery, then burned after I yank off the short? or is that zapped & burned at the same time?(oil bypass install... you'll have to wait for the writeup for the details...)

Old 12-24-2006, 05:00 PM
triton
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Loydt

How did you remove it? Did you do it yourself or have a muffler shop do it? It looks to be welded in place? I plan to buy a programmer as soon as I can find one thatI like. My Duramax used the Hypertech. I really liked it but they do not make one for my truck.
Yes, I did it myself. The cat is welding to the pipe but, that's not where it comes apart. There's a u-clamp on the end of the turbo downpipe. The exhaust I use MBRP sells a cat-delete pipe which is a direct replacement for the piping removed.

It's takes some elbow grease to get the job done but, I think it's worth the effort. I'd rather try myself before paying someone else.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:44 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

The one question you need to find out is if you take it off will the Service Manager at the dealership you take it to for any repairs care if it is off. I have heard of some who will not work on a truck under warranty that has had the cat cut off. My self I don't care if it were to fall off of your truck but be aware that it is against federal law to remove this type of item from your truck. That being said it may be a good idea to keep the cat around in storage just in case it is ever needed to be put back on.

Quick Reply: Removing Cat Converter?