Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

break in before adding chip????

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006 | 02:35 AM
sonny t
Default break in before adding chip????

Is there any break-in period before adding any type of chip? My truck only has 6000 miles on it but I am wanting to add either the bullydog or something of that nature to bump up the HP and TORQUE numbers. I have heard some say that you shouldnt go with synthetic oil until at least 10000 miles so that all the internall parts have a chance to seat properly. Was wondering if this is the same before adding more power???

Old 12-29-2006 | 04:20 PM
MrSlug
Veteran
Default RE: break in before adding chip????

There is no break in per say on your CTD. Meaning its not like a gasser where you have to baby it for the first 500 and vary the engine speed. Rather you want to pull a heavy load from day 1 to get all the bits of the motor to settle in.

I put an Edge Juice on my CTD with 3500 miles on the clock.

Old 12-29-2006 | 08:58 PM
cumminalong

It's not the motor that you have to worry about the break in, it's the gears mostly. You don't wanna tow heavy right off the bat. Give it 500 miles to get your rear gears a chance to set up good, then have at it.

Honestly though, wait until you do the first oil change. You get a lot of funk in there during that initial few thousand miles and there's no sense in adding stress to that.

500 miles, then throw a few good loads on her, change the oil and have at it.

Old 12-29-2006 | 11:31 PM
sonny t

Thats what I was wanting to know, thanks. I did exactly that, waited for around 500 miles on my odemeter then hooked my 5th wheel up(whitch weighs around 10,500 empty and went to town. I have already changed the oil but am waiting till next oil change to go with synthetic. Thanks guys. By the way how do you like the Edge set up??

Quick Reply: break in before adding chip????