Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Aero Turbine 4040 Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 12:06 AM
aka_chewy
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aero Turbine 4040 Review

Mayfair-

What is your exhaust setup? Do you have a muffler? Or is it aero and then straight through?

Old 01-10-2007, 12:29 PM
crazykidjj87
Veteran

haa...i see now. ill make sure i do it right the first time. lol

and yes, as aka said...just aero in place of the stock muffler and straight through?

what size aero is everyone running?

what is the stock size of my exhaust? so i know what size aero to get

Old 01-10-2007, 12:37 PM
crazykidjj87
Veteran

do you need to buy a piece of exhaust pipe and install that too when you take out the stock muffler and put the aero in? or is it a direct fit? and if you do where in the hell do you get a 3.5 or 4 inch piece of exhaust pipe? i called the auto part stores around here and noone of them stock it and they would have to call the corprate office to see if they can get it blah blah blah its a bunch of B/S.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:42 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

ok, I have been doing some research and have called AERO themself.

Now,
Everyone that says that when they put the AERO in place of the cat and removed the muffler said they had a Drone nise in the cab. everyone that said that they put the AERO in place of the stock muffler and removed the cat said they had no drone noise at all.
One of the Guys on Cummins forum called AERO to find out where they recomend the AERO should be installed.

here is the reply.

Derek,

As I mentioned, there are a number of our customers who have installed the Aero Turbine muffler right after the downpipe. This will generate a little more performance gain and reduce EGTs slightly more than installing the muffler in the stock location, but it is usually significantly louder, and in most cases will cause a drone in the cab. We always recommend installing our mufflers in the stock location. However, if you do choose to install a second 4040 or 4040XL right after the downpipe, while it will produce an increase in performance, possibly a slight increase in fuel economy, and a larger decrease in EGTs, be aware that it will likely increase the in-cab noise significantly.

Feel free to post this on the Cummins forum if you would like.

Thanks, and again don’t hesitate to contact us with any further questions.

and,
Derek,

Again, if you choose to install a second muffler, we recommend installing it just in front of the current muffler. This is our recommendation for the 4040 or the 4040XL. Again, there is no issue with installing the second muffler right after the downpipe, however it will be significantly louder with the muffler under the cab in that location. Feel free to contact us with any further questions. Thanks,

and,
Derek,

Thank you for your email. AT4040 is the part number for the Aero Turbine 4040 muffler. Where did you hear that the "preferred" location for the muffler is right after the downpipe? This is not correct. We recommend the muffler be installed in the stock location. Some of our customers have installed the muffler right after the downpipe. This will not decrease performance; it will actually slightly increase performance and further decrease exhaust gas temperatures. However, it will be significantly louder inside the cab. Again, we recommend that the muffler be installed in the stock location. If you wish to install another AT4040 in conjunction with the one you already have, we recommend you install it just in front of your current muffler. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any further questions. Thanks,
I like mine and have no drone. Have been using 2stroke and find that the truck is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter now-recently installed the PG7 and prefilter so maybe that has something to do with it. The model I have has no resonator, all in all I am very happy with it and would buy another. I may install another before the one I have now.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: aka_chewy

Mayfair-

What is your exhaust setup? Do you have a muffler? Or is it aero and then straight through?
I removed the resonator that was up towards the downpipe and replaced it with a hunk of straight pipe. I then ran the pipe down to the Aero which is installed in the stock muffler location, and then finally out of the tailipipe. I went with the 3.5"Aero but I THINK my stock pipes are only 3".

Crazyasked about where to get the straight pipe. Here's the deal ....

I got the straight pipe needed from Verocious whenI ordered my Aero., but there was a snag in the plan. The straight pipe is indeed just that, a straight pipe. I needed a pipe with at least 1 flange in it to fit OVER the existing pipe. The Aero is already flanged on both ends.

Sooooo ...

Since Verocious doesn't sell flanged pipes, you wind up having to go to a muffler shop anyway to get your new pipe flanged. That's when the guy at the muffler shop offered to hang my system for me and since I had it all right there I said eff it and I let him. Couple of snags along the way, but it all worked out in the end. I'm glad I let them hang it. even though I'm sure I could have done it, they did a much better job of hanging it because they had the lift.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:28 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

yeah dont install it backwards.

it sounds much better when installed correctly

Old 01-10-2007, 04:05 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

Mayfair:
I removed the resonator that was up towards the downpipe and replaced it with a hunk of straight pipe. I then ran the pipe down to the Aero which is installed in the stock muffler location, and then finally out of the tailipipe. I went with the 3.5"Aero but I THINK my stock pipes are only 3".
What differences did you notice when you made the switch? I am mainly concerned about throttle response.

Thanks,

P.S. - I just had a thought....is it wierd that I am now asking advice from Mayfair? Now I feel shame

just messing with ya Mayfair......

Old 01-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Mayfair
Legend

As far as throttle response, night and day !!

A little back tracking here ...

I don't know if you remember or not,but I HAD 245 16" tires and rims. When I switched to the newer 17" 265's, my pedal and mileage right right into the crapper. I was happy with the way my truck looked, but it ran like a turd. LUCLILY ( lol ) my muffler decided to take a dump at around the same time. THAT'S how I wond up on the Aero kick and with an Aero. Once installing the Aero, the truck ran just as good if not maybe a bit better than it did with my old tire and rim set-up. Mileage improved a little, but only very little. Probably about 3/4 of a mile to the gallon, not much, but the fact that my truck once again ran like a champ made me extatic. Now it looked and ran great.

As far as the sound goes, if you want to get a preview of what it'll be like, remove your tailpipe. My muffler puked out it's tailpipe and that's how I got into the Aero thing. I got used to the sound of driving my truck without a tailpipe after a while. After I installed the Aero, it pretty much sounded exactly the same.

Here's a couple of pics of what I had before the Aero ...

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/50F7E411894A447DACDEBD81D5E9A52F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/7008908FFB6740108135EBB1E30E6566.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/8E05DCB3FECD4BF38809D27FA72EDEF6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/237FBB6E81D84A21BED7B6D88B1EDE19.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-11-2007, 05:03 AM
RedRacer44
Rookie

Just to chime in.....my Aero was installed where the cat was and I have nothing but great things to say about it. There is a drone in the cab at about 75-80 mph but its not too bad. At 65-70, its just barely louder than stock IMO.

I feel like I didnt really lose any low-end torque, very little if any really. Turbo spooled up faster and the truck pulled harder from bottom to top. Really starts rippin' when you get about 50 mph and the RPMs start building.

As far as mileage, I un-plugged the Edge a while back to do some mileage tests with just intake/exhaust mods and got a smooth 18 MPG on 2 tanks. Best I ever got when it was completely stock and with the Edge hooked up was just barely over 17. Without the Edge, of course, the drive-ability dropped a bit and it didnt have near the thump it did before but it was fine...

Now with the BullyDog....I'm all smiles all the time. Going to run a mileage check this weekend to see how the BD works in conjunction with my other mods....

Old 01-11-2007, 03:11 PM
usafr
All Star

Mine is installed in the stock location and the cat died a couple months ago. I don't really have any in cab noise, and the sound of the exhaust is freakin awesome. For anyone who hasn't removed the silencer ring and cat,,, it's an awesome improvement.

Quick Reply: Aero Turbine 4040 Review