Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Cummins will not fire

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 02:57 PM
speedneed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cummins will not fire

Hello everyone, I have a 2003 Cummins that will not fire up. It worked fine one day, then I tried starting it a few days later and it'll turnover but not fire up.. I get no codes on the dash when I turn the ignition key 3 times. I can hear the lift pump spinning in the tank and the grid heaters are working because the intake is warm to the touch. Any ideas?? If I were to crack open one of the hard lines to the fuel injector and the crank the engine, will the fuel dribble out or spray out??

Old 01-04-2007, 04:09 PM
cumminalong
Default RE: Cummins will not fire

ORIGINAL: speedneed

Hello everyone, I have a 2003 Cummins that will not fire up. It worked fine one day, then I tried starting it a few days later and it'll turnover but not fire up.. I get no codes on the dash when I turn the ignition key 3 times. I can hear the lift pump spinning in the tank and the grid heaters are working because the intake is warm to the touch. Any ideas?? If I were to crack open one of the hard lines to the fuel injector and the crank the engine, will the fuel dribble out or spray out??
DO NOT open one of those high pressure fuel lines and try to crank it. Your engine compartmentwill promptly be coated in fuel.

Could be a few things....

ECM could have committed suicide. Very possible. May explain why no codes are being thrown.

Injection pump may have crapped out. Ahhhhhh, maybe. Wouldn't think it was the lift pump, as it would fire up just not real well.

Cam or crank sensor could be toast. Again, quite possible. No timing, no fire.

Or, maybe just a fuse.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

ORIGINAL: speedneed

DO NOT open one of those high pressure fuel lines and try to crank it. Your engine compartmentwill promptly be coated in fuel.

Could be a few things....

ECM could have committed suicide. Very possible. May explain why no codes are being thrown.

Injection pump may have crapped out. Ahhhhhh, maybe. Wouldn't think it was the lift pump, as it would fire up just not real well.

Cam or crank sensor could be toast. Again, quite possible. No timing, no fire.

Or, maybe just a fuse.
couldnt have said it better myself

Old 01-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Watermelon
Captain

You boys otta come to Greenville SC and open up a shop!!!

Old 01-04-2007, 05:12 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Watermelon

You boys otta come to Greenville SC and open up a shop!!!
Naaaaaaaah, not me at least. I'm like a bird..............I'm just regurgitating what I've taken in.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Drew
Professional

I'm not far away, I work in Midtown Atl and live on the south side.

but who else will employ a guy who's job description includes Radiological and Chemical detection equipment repair

Old 01-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Watermelon
Captain

iI roll through Atown about 2am headed to the market. Theres some crazy dudes on the road this early , even worse than rush hour

Old 01-04-2007, 06:16 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Drew
but who else will employ a guy who's job description includes Radiological and Chemical detection equipment repair
Ohhhh, if everybody only knew exactly what you were talking about.....

Old 01-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Drew
Professional

I dont work too far from there. . .between moreland and boulevard on Confederate Ave. you can see me crusing 285 between sr314 to 675 in the mornings. . .only 3/4 ton truck with Goofy in the reviever hitch

rich. . .being a civi tech isa hard job, but somebody's gotta do it[8D]

Old 01-04-2007, 07:00 PM
PRam
Professional

ORIGINAL: cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Drew
Ohhhh, if everybody only knew exactly what you were talking about.....
I'm actually kinda glad more people don't know what he's talkin about. I've tried to explain some of my old military exploits to my wife but she just don't understand

Quick Reply: Cummins will not fire