Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

best guages?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 08:08 PM
rbmchief
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best guages?

Ive got a 2002 2500 slt 4x4 and ive finally got the money for guages. I've had the truck about 4 months. anyway i have non guages now and was going to put on egt, fuel pressure, boost and tran temp. What is a good set of guages for someone who is pretty decent mechanically to install myself. Ive done guages on my gassers before so i think i can get it done. Anything thats maybe a little easier to install for a diy'er? any help would be appreciated. i have an edge ez chip, 4" exhaust and abhaf

Old 01-07-2007, 08:19 PM
rbmchief
Rookie
Default RE: best guages?

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/diadodge.htmi found this three guage set. does this look like a decent set? I think this plus the fuel pressure guage kit from genos garage would probably cover everything?

Old 01-08-2007, 12:39 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the higher end Autometers are the best. All my gauges are Autometer Cobalt series. More money, but a very well built, precission gauge. This is my dash.

Good luck with your ride.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12792/65A64D0278E24C3BB28979D8A8A865AC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I'm wondering why more of you guy's don't have or use the fuel pressure gauge? Given the problems with the lift pumps, I'd think fuel pressure would be something that you'd REALLY want to keep an eye on. More so than boost.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:16 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I've been wondering the same thing myself Mayfair. I'd say the two most important gauges to have are Fuel Pressure and EGT.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I guess I'm still a little confused about what exactly boost is and why it's so important to monotor it. If my boost went down, would my truck die? Would it be fatal? I already know that if myFuel Pressuredied it would.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:47 PM
rbmchief
Rookie

ive already got the fp guage its going to be installed into the little cubby hole next to the radio. My question was to find out if there is a set out there thats maybe a little easier to install since im planning on doing it myself. i have yet to find a nice set that includes the fuel pressure. Im not that concerned with boost but if the kit i order comes with a boost guage i might as well install it

Old 01-08-2007, 07:54 PM
SpLaT
Captain

If I were to install gauges (looking for a EGT/Boost combo) I needs me "grab handle" putin guages on dash board not for me. Anyways IMHO,I would look at boost gauge rather then fuel press. as the boost gauge will let ya know if ya have problems with an injector or 2. I've seen CTDstill run on 4 or 5 cylinders, might be a little harder to pass the oh-nos but will still go. Turbo will spool up but less pressure. That pressure loss is a pretty good indicator of a bad injector.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:08 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

I guess I'm still a little confused about what exactly boost is and why it's so important to monotor it. If my boost went down, would my truck die? Would it be fatal? I already know that if myFuel Pressuredied it would.
Boost, my friend, is the amount of compressed air that is created by the turbo, on the compressor side. If your turbo was not present, your motor would have almost no power.You would have a hard time starting off from a dead stop, and probably could not achieve highway speeds. And forget about towing anything....lol.

Here's a diagram buddy. It's pretty simple. The blue arrow is the boost. The boosted or compressed air goes into the compressor intake, out the discharge, through your intercooler (which is in front of your radiator), and then up into the intake manifold. Compressed air is now sitting on top of your intake valves. When the intake valve opens, pressurized, cooled air enters the combustion chamber. The more air you can cram into the cylinder, the cleaner the burn, and the more fuel you can add.

The turbine section of the turbo is driven by hot exhaust gases exiting the engine. But before the exhaust is allowed to travel out the tailpipe, it is forced to do work. That work is to spin the turbine. And as you can see in the pic, the turbine and the compressor both reside on the same drive shaft. The turbine drives the compressor wheel. The only other major part of the turbo is the wastegate. The wastegate opens when the predetermined amount of boost pressure is exceeded. The wastegate opens, and gives the exhaust gases a direct path into the downpipe. The rerouted exhaust gases bypass the turbine, so the turbo loses some of it's "drive". It slows down and reduces the amount of boost. When the boost pressure falls below the wastegate setting, the gate closes and now all the exhaust gases are once again driving the turbine.

I hope that helps buddy.

If not, we'll try it a different way...lol.

Adios my friend.

DD

[IMG]local://upfiles/12792/A4FFCE27C5FE40EC912FD171AEB8215C.gif[/IMG]

Old 01-09-2007, 03:04 AM
1Normy
Rookie

Diesel Demon

Great explination! [sm=smiley20.gif] I am a newbie to the forum w/o a ctd yet, but i am looking! Probably looking for a 03-05 depending on the price. I appreciate what all of you guys are saying on this forum! I am learning a ton! Looking forward to geting one of my own hopefully this spring!

Quick Reply: best guages?