Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Turbo Timer Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 11:24 PM
handymanherb
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Timer Diesel

Does anyone use one here and what types

I seen some programers come with timers and found some stand alone models, I sit and wait and give it as least a minutes before shuting down.

Timer would let me run in the store and let the truck cool down.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:51 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: Turbo Timer Diesel

I have one on my TST... hit a button and waits until the egt's are down below my set level or 4 minutes... which ever comes 1st

Old 01-08-2007, 12:57 AM
Watermelon
Captain

Herb, Im no expert on these trucks at all, but Ive been runnin these trucks for 10 years pullin heavy daily haulin produce to my store and I never let it idle more than three minutes comin off the interstate. Just knockin around I let it go about a minute and Ive been trouble free on 3 CTD"s. If it bugs you about cool down, leave it runnin and use your keyless to keep it cheap.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:19 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

also, if you run synthetic oil, it's not a problem at all...

Old 01-08-2007, 02:31 AM
handymanherb
Banned

I bought it with 26000. miles on it and have 30000 on it now and the mileage has improved since I got it so I guess I'm about ready to switch to Amsoil and was thinking of add the bypass filter kit on it too so I can get extended oil drains and still keep the wear down.

I haven't got a keyless fob, I need to order one or I can get an remote start that would work the door locks too andrun for a set time for 50 bucks

Old 01-08-2007, 04:20 AM
sharx ram
Champion

I have one on my truck that is part of my alarm, it works good but it actually cools down fairly quick,I have only used it acouple of times...I drive like a little old lady for the last 1/2 mile and then sit bthere for a minute or 2, works for me. Just dont hot rod once you get close to your house and let it cool down for a minute before shutting down.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Hiloram
Professional

Should I be in nuetral instead of park when doing my cool down?

Old 01-08-2007, 02:22 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: sharx ram

I have one on my truck that is part of my alarm, it works good but it actually cools down fairly quick,I have only used it acouple of times...I drive like a little old lady for the last 1/2 mile and then sit bthere for a minute or 2, works for me. Just dont hot rod once you get close to your house and let it cool down for a minute before shutting down.
hahaha, like that will ever happen... <jk>

Hilo... doesnt matter either way... the only difference is the tranny fluid is moving in neutral.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:58 PM
sharx ram
Champion

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

ORIGINAL: sharx ram

hahaha, like that will ever happen... <jk>

Hilo... doesnt matter either way... the only difference is the tranny fluid is moving in neutral.
Hey it could happen...I never thought I could do it either!...not as shocked as my wife but it made me stop and think "I must be getting old!"

Old 01-08-2007, 07:13 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

Yeah, I'm just messin' with ya... I dont blow thru my neighborhood either. actually, I slow down and keep it legal in all neighborhoods... think about it, all it takes is for a kid to jump out in front of you 1 time and thats it... if your doing the speed limits, it's easier to react in a situation like that.

this one road that goes along the backside of the neighborhood is frequently traveled @ 50 mph, 2 years ago a kid crossing the street to get his "stashed" skateboard with a steering wheel got nailed by a drunk driver. I rolled up on it within a minute of it happening, the driver probably passed me going the other direction... the kid had been hit so hard his hip was broken, skull fracture and blood everywhere. Images like that make you think... needless to say, the hit & run driver (ex cop) is now in jail.

Quick Reply: Turbo Timer Diesel