Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Best Mods for Maximum MPG

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 11:33 PM
440 Demon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Mods for Maximum MPG

OK, I have an 06 CTD Quad Cab 4x4. The truck now has 5K miles and I've already performed my first oil change thanks to drew and his step by step instructions. I am getting consistant 17.5 MPG checked by hand and using the brew and I looking to maximize MPG. I've read many posts here on the matter of MPG and there are several conflicting views such as after market air filters/ intake tube. I've read that some improve mileage while others do not. My truck is basically stock although recently I purchaseded an Edge EZ. Although I got better throttle response, gas mileage did not improve (set on level 1). I ended up removing it since I did not like the additional rattling (pre-ignition noises) coming from the motor due to the timing advancefrom the Edge.What are the best mileage "bang for the buck" remedies out there?

Old 01-11-2007, 12:26 AM
bucknute
Default RE: Best Mods for Maximum MPG

New to this forum, but don't let that scare you. I'm a proud owner of the 05 3500 4x4 quad cab. tranny 6 speed, gear 373 an the wheels and tires are stock.. my upgrades are Volant cold air intake, Banks charge air cooler, high ram intake. and to fuel it theEdge EZ.For the out flow Banks monster muff, and the stock CAT.With these up grades my fuel avg is 23.5 with the Ez on 3. Four the performance part of it I cant complain. the turbo comes in very strong. with just a very little lag. I wanted to know the diff between strait pipe an with the CAT and muff. so the other day I cut the CAT an muff off.. and and it SUCKS. but i wanted ride of the CAT anyway, I'm looking at the areo 4040. Do you have any info on this pipe.. hope this is some help.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:56 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

hey guys.. welcome to DF...

I talked with one guy who used a cool blue tube and a drop in filter (IIRC)combined with a TAG (search for TAG & Dodge or turbo air guide)and claims to have gained 2 mpg. If your strickly looking for mileage improvement, check out the TST products webpage... they have a box that is geared towards mpg improvements. forget about an exhaust kit, most only hurt mileage. they are more geared towards flowing lots of air which = lower mileage...

Old 01-11-2007, 02:39 AM
Buckwheat
Rookie

Some of the things Iam trying to sweak a little more mpg out of my 06' CTD:
1. Drews Brew
2. I plug my truck in at night and have it ona timer that kicks on 3.5 hrs before I leave for work.
3. Run the psi in my 295/70R/17E tires15psi bellow the 80psi max. Much better milage with the stock tires but the coolness factor was below average.
4. Stock airbox with a AFE progaurd 7 drop in filter.
5. Removed the middle silencer vane section on the intake tube between the turbo and airbox and installed a straight pipe.
6. I try to keep my RPM's under 2000 and stay in the left hand lane.... But driving like a little old lady isn't quite working out for me. Every time a PSD or Duramax comes near my testosterone seems to take over and my foottrys to push thepedalthrough the floor thus Fingmy mpg.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:45 AM
sharx ram
Champion

Buckwheat, I love that sticker in the back window...where did you get it?

Old 01-11-2007, 02:53 AM
Buckwheat
Rookie

Actually I found it on a Myspace . I wish I had the sticker for both of these.

[IMG]local://upfiles/51890/65D79C7EEDD7485FAEE19215B551EE4A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-11-2007, 03:07 AM
sharx ram
Champion

No stickers but I made this It gets my point across

[IMG]local://upfiles/41952/3BE5E8711204472587074A134910A65C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-11-2007, 03:15 AM
Buckwheat
Rookie

That plate rocks.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Cowboy 6

ORIGINAL: 440 Demon

My truck is basically stock although recently I purchaseded an Edge EZ. Although I got better throttle response, gas mileage did not improve (set on level 1). I ended up removing it since I did not like the additional rattling (pre-ignition noises) coming from the motor due to the timing advancefrom the Edge.
It is my understanding (from Edge) that the EZ is a pressure box, not timing. Your noises should not be a timing issue. I would put the EZ back on and try it on 3.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Methos
Veteran

Good luck getting that first filter off if the same gorilla put it on that did mine. I ended up breaking 3 metal filter wrenches and mangling the end of the filter. Had to get a tow to a garage to get the stupid thing off. Still took them 20 minutes to pull the filter and I could hear it creak as it came off from 2 rooms away and a closed door in between.

Quick Reply: Best Mods for Maximum MPG