Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Stacks?...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 05:35 PM
sharx ram
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stacks?...

Has anyone installed a set of stacks? I have been all over and cant find anyone who does it.I have a couple questions about it.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stacks?...

Ive seen plenty of different setup's from haveing a single hole in the bed and then running the y pipe from that to useing some 6 inch square tubeing to actualy drilling two different holes in the bed and putting the y pip under the bed, but you are limited in room for that set-up due to the possition of the fuel tank.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:51 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

I've seen someone's set as a finished product. It looks pretty simple. The kit (no idea which one) was all clamped together. The most difficult part was cutting the hole in the bed. They took the measure 17 times and cut 4. From there they sawzalled the factory exhaust at the length they needed and started putting the puzzle together from there. The stacks had a brace that was either drilled or clamped to the lip of the bed rail, can't remember which.

Not sure if that helped or not, but that's what I have seen.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:52 PM
JarheadX
All Star

I have seen some, but sometimes when people do them i think it looks horrible, sometimes they are just toooo big and don't look right

Old 01-11-2007, 06:17 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

Im sorry but this will look kick *** on your truck Shark! the stacks should be just a tad higher though

Old 01-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Mayfair
Legend

OK, here's Mayfairs stupid question of the day ....

How do you split the exhaust so soon ?? I'm assuming that you put a Y pipe on the downpipe comming from the turbo. Do you put the Aero before or after the Y, or do you now run 2 Aero's, or no muffler at all ??

It just doesn't seem like there's enough room for all of that stuff before the stacks. Seems too long or something.

Care to lay it out for me ???

Old 01-11-2007, 09:09 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

OK, here's Mayfairs stupid question of the day ....

How do you split the exhaust so soon ?? I'm assuming that you put a Y pipe on the downpipe comming from the turbo.

You're absolutely correct about the Y pipe, Mayfair. What happens is, right,where the split takes place, there's a midget that directs all the male molecules to the left, and all the female molecules to the right. That's how the exhaust is split.

Hope that helped buddy.....LOL.

Anyway, if you look under your truck Mayfair, you will see that from where the down pipe starts the bottom bend, it is only partially under the firewall. Then you have the length of a regular, extended, quad, or Mega cab, to do some work with the system before you get to the bed of the truck.

And before you ask, I have seen some guys that ......

1. Go straight back with a single pipe and cross over just in front of, or behind the transfer case/transmission center support. It's custom bending no doubt.

A LOT of guys bring a single 5 or 6 inch pipe into the bed of the truck, and make a simple manifold with tubular steel. It looks like a muffler. There's even a way to install a diffuser in there to split the exhaust evenly. All you would see is a split second where the passengers side pipe starts billowing before the drivers side,due to the drivers side exhaust having to physically travel farther to see sunlight......LOL>

Ok Mayfair......ask away......I'm here for ya buddy.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:34 PM
racer9
Veteran

Heres mine http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/PHOT0086.jpg
A little closer view of the crossover pipe, just 4"X4" square tubing, with 5" slightly ovaled short pipes to connect to the 5" Grand Rock stacks.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...rstackview.jpg
And heres the bottom, showing the elbows to connect to the 4"X4" tubing.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...om_exhaust.jpg

Old 01-11-2007, 10:10 PM
handymanherb
Banned
Old 01-11-2007, 11:04 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

That is a sharp setup. I love stacks. Yours even look good at the bottom.

Cool beans.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12792/AD7D87A9AFAB4072848E3557B9FEA45E.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Stacks?...