Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Call to arms

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 05:02 AM
MrSlug
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Call to arms

I would like to see a 4x2 or even a 4x4 hemi try to pull a stuck CTD or V10 out of the mud.... I sense many broken tow straps......

I have seen many off road rigs at Holister. Some of the real good trail buster and rock climbers are Suzuki Samurai's with 1.8 and 2.0 VW diesel swaps. Not fast per say but with the right gearing aint nothing those things can climb. Plus they weigh nothing...

The up and coming Power Wagon with the 6.7 will be another toy. It will weigh WAY too much to be a serious off roader, but for those looking for a powerful truck to get them to the hard to reach campsites in comfort and stylethat truck will rock.

Most of the hemi stuff to me goes in one ear and out the other. I did test drive a 2500 with a hemi then a CTD. Bought the CTD. I agree with Cumminalong, the Hemi motor is fine suited for hot rodding around in an unlaiding truck, but if you want a real truck with real power, CTD hands down. Don't ya just love the LSD burnouts while towing a trailer.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Local Yokel
Professional

I will be the first to offer any stock Hemi Rams or even lightly modified Hemi rams the chance to do a pulloff with my CTD just to see the outcome. I have never done it before and wouldnt know how in the first place but it would be fun trying ....

Old 01-13-2007, 06:31 PM
cumminalong

If you ever do a pull off (not that I've done one ). The key is to have YOUR hook up point higher than the other guys (i.e. you hitch higher) and stiffer rear springs (to old up some weight)

Stand on the brakes and let him get at it; he'll break his own tires loose. What it does is takes the weight off of his rear tires, because you have the higher hook up point.

Then, after you've spooled up, slowly let out the brakes and commence to draggin'.

Other than that, lower the pressure in your tires down to around 20 - 22 psi and make him buy the beer afterwards.

It's all about ground pressure and even weight distro. All the power in the world does nothing if you can't hook it up.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Local Yokel
Professional

4 low or hi?

Old 01-13-2007, 08:36 PM
cumminalong

4L, it's a lot easier to control the wheel speed.

If you break them loose in 4 hi, they get spinning real quick. In 4 low, it's a little easier to control.

Just like off-roading....do you want to take on steep, slick grade in 4 hi or be able to creep it in 4L?

You don't need a ton of power to pull another guy, just traction and leverage. If he breaks loose, game over. Just ease on the throttle and let him smoke up a storm.

Quick Reply: Call to arms